Chapter 15: The Deserter

Começar do início

“Ready disguises!” she said, hands on hips.

Sokka and Katara pulled the hoods of black cloaks up over their heads, obscuring their faces in deep shadow. Anya, humming gaily, did the same with the back of her orange cape. She was utterly recognizable.

“It’s like you’re a whole different person,” said Sokka sarcastically, as Katara giggled into her palm.

Anya grinned and bounced over to his side, twining her fingers with his. “Let’s go.”

The trio set off down the hill toward the village, Anya skipping like a little girl, pulling Sokka along behind her. Above them, perched among the dark leaves of a tree, was a man. His identity was obscured by a dark red bandana, which covered the lower half of his face. Someone, should she see him, Anya might have found reason to be concerned about. But it was too dark, and she too excited about the evening to come to notice the strange man with the bandana.

In the village’s main square, people were everywhere. Dancing, waving sparklers, dressed in bright reds, yellows and oranges. Several people, almost completely concealed in an ornate dragon costume, marched by. But there was one strange thing…there was not a single person not wearing an colorful and elaborate mask.

“I think we need some new disguises,” said Katara, gazing around.

Sokka frowned, annoyed. “Where are we gonna get masks like that?”

Anya looked around for just such an opportunity, grinning when she spotted a merchant manning a booth covered in the masks. “Get your genu-ine Fire Festival masks here!”

“That was surprisingly easy,” muttered Sokka, as the girls ran to the mask stall. When the three turned away, Sokka was wearing a grinning mask. Anya’s frowned. Reaching out, Katara switched them, so the masks matched the temperament of their owners. Anya grinned beneath her already-smiling mask and reached for Sokka’s hand again. Grudgingly, he gave a small smile.

Anya looked around with excitement; the festive atmosphere was affecting her. She pointed ahead, leaping up on her toes. “Hey, there’s some food!”

Sokka looked up so abruptly, his mask almost fell off. “Finally!” he said, running ahead with Anya’s hand still enclosed in his. “Finally!” What do you have?” he asked the merchant.

“Flaming fire flakes!” the man said enthusiastically. “Best in town.” He held out a small, steaming bag. Sokka snatched them.

“I’ll take ‘em!”

He peeled open the bag and stuffed a handful of chips into his mouth. “Aaahhh! Hot Hot!” he shouted, not a minute later, jumping around like he had a prickle snake in his pants while he half-lifted his mask to fan this tongue.

Katara crossed her arms, rolling her eyes at her brother. “‘Flaming fire flakes’--hot? What do you know.”

Anya rocked back and forth on her toes. “Hey, look at this!” she said suddenly, pointing to her right. A puppet show was about to begin, the audience full of small children. The curtain of the tiny stage swept open, and a puppet meant to look like the Fire Lord appeared. The audience cheered, tiny fists thrusting into the air.

“Don’t worry, loyal citizens!” the puppet squeaked. “No one can surprise the Fire Lord!”

Behind him was an Earthbender puppet, holding a large stone poised to crush the tiny Fire Lord. Several of the children in the audience cried out, giving high-pitched warnings. But they needn’t worry, Anya thought, almost bitterly, as the Fire Lord puppet suddenly turned and, with a huge stream of flame, charred the Earthbender to a crisp. Cheers again arose from the small audience.