02. knight, handmaiden and betrothed

Start from the beginning

Arion usually came in to update her about her father as well. It seemed like he too was locked inside his room.

But when the three left her alone, she found herself crying until no tears were left. Her cheeks would turn pink and her eyes would look as clear as water.

She did not want to leave, she did not want to leave her family behind. Why was her father sending her away so easily, why had it been so sudden? She didn't fell like asking him, hells, she didn't feel like talking to him at all. Had his promises meant nothing? Only gods would know.

There were two loud knocks on the door. Before Gray could wipe her tears away, or even inquire  the identity of her visitor, the door swung open without a warning. Her lady grandmother, Kalis, entered, dressed in blue elegant silks. She entered without question, Gray heard her boots echo against the cold floor. Her posture was straight and proud. Without speaking, the lady found a seat next to Gray in the bed. The young lady just looked at her in shy, embarrassed looks, feeling her eyes water as she tried to take a deep breath. Don't cry, Graycleia, she told herself, please, just don't cry.

But just as her grandmother wrapped her arm around her shoulder, Gray couldn't stand it any longer. Water fell from her cheeks continuously. She wanted to stay here. Kalis stroked her back gently as Gray tried to steady herself. "Crying is for the weak," Kalis spoke in a calm tone.

There was cold silence then. Gray wiped her tears away and attempted to straighten her posture. She breathed in and sighed. "You must be stronger, my darling," her grandmother spoke, "I assure you, it will be alright."

Gray shook her head gently as she looked at her grandmother. Kalis was a beautiful woman with golden-brown hair, brown almond eyes and fair skin. She didn't look much like a Martell, and not many would know her origin of birth if they saw her. But if they met her and tempted her anger, gods, would they immediately know. "How would you possibly know that?" Gray questioned in misery, "This is the first time in history that a Demetra woman has been forced to marry without her consent. I can't do anything about it."

Kalis sighed heavily in response. "I know, sweet raven, but is locking yourself up in this room the best answer to your problems? No, you are behaving like a child. There is no changing of your father's mind, you might as well begin accepting your fate, darling. Get out of this room and live what is left of your life in the South."

Kalis had grown to be wise. She was right, what good did it do to her staying locked away? This were her last days at home, why waste them so poorly? "I fear I will hate the North. I fear the North will hate me."

Kalis grinned softly at the young lady. "The North is a lovely place," Kalis answered. "Your grandfather took me to Winterfell once, many years ago." The look that filled Kalis' chocolate eyes was a look Gray already knew. Each time her lady grandmother told her a story, her eyes would fill with a certain emotion that Gray couldn't quite fathom. It was happiness with a mixture of melancholy and at the same time, a glint of loneliness. Kalis had loved her grandfather Mytron deeply. Her father often told her that the passion within their love was brighter than fire. They had been happy as they raised three children together. A little piece of Kalis died too when Mytron's health began to get worse.

"We went with your father, Randell and Elma. They must have been children at the time," Kalis continued, placing a hand over her beating heart. "Maybe. . . fifteen? Elma was thirteen, I recall. Regardless, Rickard and Mytron's laughs echoed through the halls of the castle as I and Lyarra walked around in the snow. Auster and Randell became close friends with the boys, Brandon, Eddard and Benjen. I feared Elma would be left out, but she found a strange friendship with Lyanna Stark."