She left the room and closed the door. I let out a breath of relief flow through my whole body. Hope got up and left the room. I watched her as she left and the door closed behind her. I looked back at Lex and let out a sigh.

"Go after her stupid. I'll be here when you get back."

I opened my eyes and saw Lex looking at me. I gave her a small smile and walked out to find Hope.

Alexa's POV
I looked back at Carli. Her hands were on the bed near my waist. I took one of them and pushed over on the bed so she could sit next to me. She leaned her head on top of mine and I snuggled closer into her side.

"May I?"

She gestured to my wig. I nodded slowly and she took it off. I closed my eyes not wanting to look at her reaction. I felt her kiss my cheek and then the top of my head. I opened my eyes and saw hers were glistening with tears. We sat back on the bed in silence. She turned on the tv and a soccer match was on. Half way through Carli fell asleep and mom and mum came back. Mom sat on the chair and stared at me blankly. We stared at each other for ages. It wasn't until Carli woke up that I remembered we weren't alone. There was a knock on the door and mom looked over.

"Ha! I win!"

I roared out. She smiled and walked over to the door. Ash, Ali, Emily and Christie came in. Emily ran to my bed and sat in next to me.

"I'm sorry kid. I've broken a lot of our promises."
"As long as you're okay then I don't care. I just want you to be okay. Promise me that."
"Em..."
"Lexi promise me."
"I can't. I'm sorry."

She had tears falling down her cheeks. She got off the bed and walked out the door. Ash got up and followed her. I leaned my head back and let out a shaky sigh as the tears fell. I felt a hand on mine and I looked up and saw Christie standing there.

"She'll understand later."
"I'm scared."
"About what?"
"Dying."
"Listen to me. You're not going to die. I'm not going to let that happen. None of us are."

I nodded and she wiped my tears away. Ali walked over as Christie walked out of the room. She sat on the bed next to me and looked at me as she ran her hands through my hair. I took long shaky breaths as I played with my fingers.

"Can I be alone for a while?"
"Are your sure Lex?"
"Yeah go back to the hotel. I'll call if I need anything."

They hesitatingly stood up and left the room. Well both of them did but mom stopped at the door. She told mum and momma she'd be out in a minute. She closed the door behind them and turned to face me. I looked away from her and out at the window. I felt her take my hand and I gave it a squeeze.

"Life."
"What?"
"Mum asked what I am most afraid of. My answer is life. Life is full of battles. Even the strongest people are fighting private battles."

I looked back at mom and saw her tears falling down her face. She looked away and wiped them and let out a sob. I let out a shaky breath and shut my eyes tight. I opened them and turned to look out the window again. I heard the door open and close and I was in silence. I pressed the nurse button and she came in a minute later.

"Everything alright Alexa?"
"No. I need you to tell me the truth."
"About?"
"How long I have? Six months ago when I came in here you told me I only had three months if I'm lucky but yet here I am six months later after getting them removed. I need to know what estimate of time I have left in this place so I can prepare them."
"I told them a year but by the looks of things I'd say six months. And Alexa, nothing can prepare anyone for death."

She walked out and closed the door behind her. I sat back in the bed and got comfy and fell asleep. After what felt like a few minutes I felt something on my arm and someone hold my hand. I opened my eyes and saw Ali sitting on the bed next to me with her arms wrapped around me asleep. I looked at my hand and saw Ash holding it asleep on the bed. I smiled and rubbed the back of Ash's hand and leaned against Ali. I heard a small noise coming from the corner of the room and I saw Em curled up on the couch wrapped in a blanket sound asleep. I looked at the clock and saw it was seven in the evening. There was a small knock on the door and it opened. Most of the girls from the team were there. I smiled and greeted them all. Tobin threw a pillow at Ash and she jerked awake. I couldn't help but laugh at her. She got up and walked over to Em and picked her up and set her on her lap and fell back asleep again. Alex and Cheney sat in her place and looked at me.

"Hi."
"Hi Lex. How are you feeling?"
"Like crap but other than that good."

Cheney started crying and Alex tried to comfort her but failed. Ali woke up and got off the bed and I gestured for Cheney to come. She got up and in within seconds and started crying again.

"I couldn't protect you from this. I still can't. What kind of family would I be if I can't prevent you from getting hurt."
"Hey listen to me. There is absolutely nothing you could do to save me. No amount of doctors and surgeries will ever help me. I've just accepted the face that I'm dying and trying to stay on the positive side of life."
"How did we ever get so lucky to have you?"
"I could say the same about each and every one of you."

She stayed next to me for a while as she calmed down. All the girls were sitting around joking and laughing. They tried to include me but I was zoned out for most of the time. By the time they had all left it was eleven at night and I was alone again. I was just about asleep when the door creaked opened and closed. I opened my eyes and saw a figure standing by the door. I reached over to the lamp and turned it on. It blinded for a moment but I regained focus and looked back at the door. Dad was standing there looking at me out of breath.

"Why are you out of breath?"
"I've been running a lot in the last few hours and it's only catching up to me now. God I'm so unfit."

I let out a small laughed as he gasped for air. He sat on the chair next to bed and stared to fall asleep. I smiled and fell back asleep.

Hope's POV
It's been three months since Lex's operation and everything is going well. It seems like she's getting healthier but I don't want to get my hopes up. We're on our way to pick her up from the hospital to bring her back to Houston for the time being. When we finally arrive to the hotel she's outside waiting for us in a wheelchair talking with the nurse. When we pull up next to the she gets up off the wheelchair and slowly walks to the car as Ash and I put her stuff into the boot. Kelley is following closely behind her just as a precaution. We say bye to the nurse and slowly drive away from the hospital. Before I turn out of the parking lot onto the highway I look back at Lex and Kelley.

"Are you ready to go home?"
"Yes. Let's do it."

I smiled and pulled out onto the highway and headed to the airport. Let's go home.