Chapter Four: I'm Sorry Child

Start from the beginning

* FLASHBACK (Still Your Pov)*

I'm eleven now... I was awoken by a loud banging on my door. My father rushed in and told me to get up and pack some essentials. I did as he said. As I was packing my door to my room flew off its hinges. I looked back to see a man in some sort of mask wearing a strange glove. My father began to fight him. I continued packing till I heard a female's blood curdling scream. That was my mother. Did they kill her?! I got my bag and ran out of my room only to be met with the man from before snapping my father's neck. I went into a rage. I summoned my (F/C) electricity and wrapped my whip around his neck. I would've killed him if I didn't smell a fire. I ran out of the house only to be met with my entire village burning. More of these men in masks were attacking my friends. I saw so much blood... and bodies burned beyond recognition. I saw some friends that were gunning for the exit. I caught up just as they got out. I went to talk to them only to be shoved to the ground by one of them. The one that shoved me shouted at me with tears in his eyes.

Boy: "THEY DID THIS BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!! JUST GO DIE!!!!!" He shouted at me with tears rolling down his face... He's right.... They're dead because of me...

I just stared wide eyed. I felt tears in my eyes as I picked myself up and ran. I ran and ran and never looked back at my home. I found those boy dead a week later on the road... My entire clan dead because of me... Why would the gods do this to them? Why?...

*END FLASHBACK (Still Your Pov)*

At some point I stopped being on the ground. I floated in the air with an immense amount of (F/C) electricity around me. As I came to I floated down and landed on my feet. I saw Korra, Tenzin and everyone staring at me wide eyed. I stared at them for a moment. Taking in the scene. I feel tears form I my eyes as I fall to my knees and cry. I haven't been able to process my emotions in... Quite sometime. It never gets better... The dreams... The memories... The flashbacks... Gods...

(Ikki's POV)

What I saw I thought was pretty amazing. But after he landed and stared at us for a bit, I saw tears form in his eyes. Then he fell to his knees and began to cry. It hurt seeing such a strong and kind person in this state. I began walking to him. My mom tried to stop me but dad put his hand on her signaling her to stop. I walked up slowly. The air still felt energized beyond belief. When I stood in front of him he looked up with tears streaming down his face. I looked at him sadly and hugged him tightly. He stiffened at the contact but hugged me back as he began to sob. Whatever triggered that state must be painful. I heard everyone walk up to us as well. Each looked at him sadly. Meelo and Jinora joined me in the hug hoping to soothe him like I was. Dad put his hand on his left shoulder while mom hugged us all. We stayed like that till he calmed down. I heard a sniffle as he pulled away. He spoke. His voice was coarse.

You: "Sorry everyone. I've been running for so long I couldn't often... Stop and think... I..." He can't finish as a single tear fell from his eye. Mom wiped it away and hugged him again. They then stood up and he continued. "I'll tell you my story..." He said sounding hesitant. "Let's go inside." He seemed... Almost scared in a way. Like he was afraid of what we would say. We followed him inside.

*TIMESKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY ANOTHER RETELLING*

(Tenzin's POV)

How has this poor child not broken down. Years he let this simmer and he never gets the chance to process what happened? How has he kept such an endearing and kind mind? True he was suspicious of people but after hearing this... I can't say I would not be the same. I can't say any of us wouldn't be the same. Father was always good at making people open up. That's one of the skills he had I wish I had as well. I want to help the poor boy... He formed a few tears in his eyes until they fell. He did not sob as before however. This boy... No man is beyond strong. He put up with this for this long and remained stoic. One thing that still sat in the back of my mind was the utter power emitting from his body. It was... Impressive to say the least... Not many benders of any kind have that kind of power dwelling inside. He then looked up and spoke again.

You: "So.... That's my story.... That's why I'm so hostile to any form of 'kindness'. I honestly didn't think it would happen that quickly... I figured if I stopped for more than a few days I'd breakdown again..." He said as he wiped his tears away. "I'm... Unsure what to do... I just..." He can't finish. This poor man. How... How do we help him I wonder... Can we even help him?

Ikki hugged him once again. He returned it gently. I smiled slightly at this. I may not have inherited my father's natural ability to comfort people but Ikki sure did. That's good maybe she can help him ever so slightly. I wanted to say something but I am unsure of what... What can any of us say? It haunts him... Maybe we can help him overcome it with time. Korra seems to smile and chuckle slightly before speaking.

Korra: "And to think you said I could relate somewhat. I have no idea what that must have been like." She finished with a half-hearted chuckle. He laughed and smiled weakly. He let go of Ikki and she seemed reluctant to pull away. She knows its still east at him... But it can't be solved with hugs alone I feel.

You: "No... But I imagine some people seek to use the Avatar for their own gains or even want her dead." He's not wrong. Many seek to use, or kill her. At least they have something in common. Even if it's something like that. That's a good thing. It will help them bond. She nodded a bit. I suppose they must have spoken after dinner yesterday. It seems she may be best equipped to get him to open up. I then decide to speak.

Tenzin: "I am truly sorry child. If you ever wish to talk about how you feel I'm sure any one of us would be willing to listen." I finished smiling at him brightly. We may not have advice but we can offer compassion and comfort. Sometimes that's all one needs.

Everyone agreed. He looked around and smiled a tiny bit. He looked... For the first time since he arrived... Genuinely happy... Yet I can still see the sadness, pain, and hurt in his eyes. This will not be something simple we will be able to help him fix quickly... Even then it won't ever be fully fixed. But I have a feeling with the way he and Korra are looking at each other she will be able to help him best. Maybe even help him confront what happened in the future.

(A/N: Apologies this is shorter than the others. Also I apologize for the lack of dialogue between characters. I wanted to convey why (M/N) felt the way he did. I hope I did well and seek to improve in the future.)