Wakanda.

Even a month after the incursion, the event was still being publicised. It was to be expected, she supposed. Tensions between the Avengers and the rest of the world had increased drastically since Sokovia. People questioned their right to enter other countries and unleash such force. Some supported them. Others did not: they wanted the Avengers to be controlled and monitored.

The very thought of subjecting herself to a higher power made Delaney feel nauseous. It reminded her too much of her parents and they'd controlled every aspect of her life growing up and, even in the future, sought to use her. Delaney never wanted to find herself in such a situation again.

The guilt of Wakanda hadn't vanished. Wanda was still distraught, especially since, as they'd predicted, many reporters directly targeted her. Delaney often found Wanda alone, watching the news almost obsessively. More than a few times Delaney to switched the TV off to distract Wanda from the poison of the words of outsiders.

But the poison seeped through all of their veins, making them think about the event even when not directly confronted by it. Steve in particular took the weight of the issue heavily on his shoulders. Delaney knew he too blamed himself for the explosion, for not reacting quickly enough to counter Rumlow.

Why did saving the world have to be so difficult?

Delaney sighed and ambled into the room. She made her footsteps deliberately loud so as not to startle Steve. Sure enough, when she rested a hand on his muscular shoulder, he didn't even flinch.

"Don't get too caught up," she murmured. "It's not good for you."

"It's hard not to pay attention," he said heavily. He reached up with his hand so it rested on top of Delaney's, and he squeezed it. "They're very vocal in their opinions."

Delaney kissed the top of his head.

"Just rest, Steve. No good will come out of exhausting yourself. Take a break to eat, at the very least."

He rubbed his temple. "You're probably right. I am peckish."

"I'm your girlfriend. It's my job to be right."

He laughed, and turned to face her. "Can't argue with that," he mused, and caught her lips in a kiss.

When they parted Delaney mock glared. "Now, at least eat something. And grab my attention if I'm not down for dinner, or something important happens."

He saluted. "Yes, ma'am." That made her giggle. "And tell Clint hello for me."

"Will do."

They squeezed each other's hands once more before they parted. Delaney's lips still tingled with the kiss.

No matter what, that was always something magical to her – and she never wanted the effect to stop.

+++

Delaney and Clint had talked for hours.

His kids were so mischievous that in the week that passed since their last conversation, Clint had about a hundred more stories to tell. Delaney hadn't been quiet, either. Even when you mostly stayed inside a single building, living with a group of superheroes meant that no day was completely uneventful.

Delaney had been very put out when Natasha interrupted her – but that soon transformed to a dreadful anticipation when she heard the Secretary of State wanted to address them. Her blood turned cold thinking about what he might bestow on them.

It was worse than anything she imagined.

The Sokovia Accords.

Documents that ensured, if signed, the Avengers would be under the authority of a panel of the United Nations. They'd surrender their freedom to this one group.