[.chapter.twenty.four.]

Start from the beginning

A promise.

The man opened his eyes and they softened as he stared at me. At my face specifically. "I'm sorry about them. I wasn't the one who put them in charge," he said with raised hands. Surrender. "He removed a backpack that had been hanging on one shoulder. "I brought you some clothes." He set the bag down on the table and unzipped it, pulling out a pair of sweatpants and a thermal shirt. He looked up at me, hair falling in his eyes as he smiled slightly.

I was automatically wary, though his smile didn't really give off warning signs. I simply figured that if someone was involved in my kidnapping, then they were automatically not to be trusted. "You won't attack me if I let you loose, will you?" He chuckled softly and through the clothes over his shoulder. Walking towards me slowly, he reached into his pocket. I flinched away when he reached for me. "Shh," he said in a quiet voice. "It's okay. I'm not gonna hurt you." For some reason, I believed him. His brown eyes showed nothing but sincerity as he nodded. "That's it."

Slowly, I calmed down and was able to keep myself from flinching as he lowered himself, keeping his eyes averted as he went so he wouldn't see anything. Though I knew he'd seen everything, I still appreciated the gesture. He quickly used the key he had to open the locks and free my feet. He then grabbed the sweats and held them out for me to step into. He slid them up, careful not to touch my skin and I shivered, suddenly aware of how utterly freezing it was in the small room. He latched the locks again and stood up. Reaching above me, he undid the cuffs on my wrists. Quickly I brought my arms down to cover my bare chest.

"Why couldn't I just dress myself?" I murmured, looking away from him as I took the shirt he offered in my hands. He turned his back to me and shrugged. Quickly, I slipped the thermal over my head, wincing when my shoulder throbbed again, then rubbed my sore wrists.

"I couldn't exactly let you go completely. Wouldn't want you trying to run away, now would we?" I narrowed my eyes and huffed as I glared at his wide back. His shoulder slumped forward and he sighed. "Done?"

"Yes," I said quickly. He turned and the guilt I found in his eyes startled me.

"I'm sorry, Miss. Truly, I am." I swallowed and nodded. I sniffed as tears filled my eyes. "So, um, the alpha will be here soon. He'll want to speak to you. Until then... I won't put the handcuffs back on." I gave him a small smile, my wrists and shoulders thanking him. Sliding down the wall, I sighed and rolled my shoulders. My hands were numb from the blood suddenly rushing to them after being up for who knows how long. Speaking of...

"How long have I been here?" I was almost scared to ask, but his calm shrug reassured me a bit.

"Only overnight." He stood and moved to grab a chair, scraping it across the floor to sit in front of me. I stared up at him and bit the inside of my cheeks, water filling my eyes.

"Why am I here?" I whispered, my voice breaking. Through all of what happened since I'd woken up, the question had only just come to me, and it broke my heart. My father must have been worried sick. Parker was probably out of his mind. "What does your alpha want from me?"

He stared at me with an expression I couldn't quite identify. Emotions were flitting across his features too quickly for me to catch up. Sorrow. Hurt. Betrayal. Anger. Guilt. Maybe some more sorrow. "He-"

"Will tell you that when I feel like it," said a voice from the doorway. Shooting up quickly, I eyed the man who leaned against the door frame casually. His arms and ankles were crossed in a relaxed sort of way and he had a way about him that said he was very sure of himself. Not to mention the air of enough arrogance and egotism to choke a blue whale. "Matthew, grab yourself another chair," he demanded rudely, not even blinking.