“What does that imply Will? Is she considering crying off the engagement?”

“She is. But do not worry Lorry, I won’t let her off that easy.” He smiled smugly and popped a juicy grape into his mouth. His eyes glinted with mischief. Lady Lorelei heart fluttered eagerly as the thrill of youth took her over, reminding her of a time forgotten, before she was Marchioness of Clare and the burden of respectability weighed on her shoulders.

Lady Lorelei knew his brother all too well, they were raised together in Ireland and since they were little children William was a master conspirator. Grasping the edge of the dining table Lady Lorelei whispered with wide eyed excitement. “What are you going to do William?”

Her brother chuckled and lazily flecked a stray hair that dangled out of place on his temple. William Hernshaw raised his glass of orange juice to his sister in a mock toast. “Evening the playing field.”

William arrived in the earl’s townhouse at half past one in the afternoon and greeted by Douglas, the family trusted butler. After shrugging out of his coat and handing it over to the middle aged man, William’s greeting was cut short by an ambiguous feminine shout which was followed by a crash that vibrated the walls of the townhouse. William’s lips twitched as a number of possibilities started to rush into his mind, thinking what the little minx was up to today.

“Is it always been so eventful around here Douglas?” William inquired the butler as Douglas was showing him to the earl’s study, the sanctum of manhood and masculinity in the house.

“Not always my lord.” Douglas replied. “Lady Charlie might be a little rash my lord, but she has the kindest heart in all of England, she does.”

As they progressed deeper into the house William caught sight of a distressed looking maid, wringing her apron in a show of her anguish. He halted and wondered what Charlotte had done to cause her maid such grief. Now that his curiosity needed satisfying, William strode over to the troubled maid. Fanny’s blue eyes were as round of coins when she saw him and executed a low curtsey.

“You’re Fanny, Lady Charlotte’s maid.” He said and the maid nodded meekly.

“Yes I am, my lord.” The maid admitted, keeping her eyes down courteously. She is a reasonably fair looking for a maid and the way she speak hardly sound like a maid at all. William suspected that aside from her duties as a maid, Charlotte had also adopted the girl as a friend and companion. The ribbon woven into her hair looked reasonably new, he wondered if Charlotte had gave it to her as a gift.

“What is the charming Lady Charlotte up to this morning I wonder? It is hardly noon but evidently she is already up to some kind of mischief.” If possible Fanny flushed into a deeper shade of red as she was torn between telling him and her loyalty toward her mistress. But Fanny was saved by Kendall who strode down the hallway.

“Good afternoon my lord.” He greeted and dismissed both Fanny and Douglas. Together, William and Kendall made their way to the study. While they were walking, Kendall filled him in on the doctor’s final conclusion explaining Charlotte’s so called condition. Dr. Hugh Wexley attributed the whole thing to a case of concussion, which with medication and time, Charlotte’s condition will improve itself.

The little bratling even managed to trick the mind of a trained physician! What a feat indeed, he thought, as Kendall prattled on about his father’s distress regarding the whole unfortunate incident.

“… So this morning Edwin disallowed coffee to be brought up along with Charlotte’s breakfast. Because teas are definitely healthier than coffees and since she is injured, Charlotte needs to eat healthier things. She is offended by it and now, taken to a hunger strike.” Kendall supplied and William’s lips tugged into a slow smile.