twenty-two

"Wa–wait!"

Prince latches his hand over my mouth. "Shhh..." He draws him hand back and leans in to kiss me. I can't believe he chose now to do this. My family had two barbecues to go to and we went to Bernadette's first. Ms. Bernadette and my mother sent me to the garage to find some extra lighters. Prince followed me in here and well...

He grips my hips tightly with his thumbs pressing into my sides as his lips did the talking for him. Being the only boy I've ever French kissed more than once, Prince proves himself to be the best. I like it but I felt like it was wrong. I prefer not to be making out in the garage after I was sent on an errand. I don't want to feel rushed.

When he feels my moan vibrate against our lips, he pulls away. A big bright smile sits on his face. "I thought I could brighten up your day," He says, caressing my cheek.

In a breathless woo, I speak. "Flowers would be nice." Twirling on my heels, I resume my hunt for the lighter. "Dammit, Prince! I think you made me knock it over."

"Oh, they're not in here." My eyes immediately narrow at him. "Dre put them all in the kitchen drawer."

As my light colored skin layers altered to a deep red, I realize he's pissed me off. "Prince!" A childish smirk says it all for him. I push him aside, my heels pound against the smooth surface I walk on. He knew the entire time. Approaching my mother and Ms. Bernadette, I say, "The lighters aren't in there."

My mother looks in Ms. Bernadette's direction. "Bernie, you say they were in there."

"That's where I put them!" She watches closely as Prince walks up behind me. "What were you two doing in there so long if the lighters aren't in there?"

I shook my head with the half truth flowing from my lips. "That's the problem! He watched me rummage through the garage looking for the lighters and he knew the whole time that they were in the house."

"Three years older and Mo's still the only aged one." My mother shakes her head as Prince shrugs with a playful chuckle. My mother shouts over her shoulder, "Muddy, go get the lighter out the house!"

Behind Muddy, Bernadette's nephew, stands Bucky and his mother. Out of instinct, Prince wrap his arms around me as the whole backyard fell silent. For days, I've wondered what happened that night. Even when my brother and friends continuously tell me the same thing over and over, I feel as if they're leaving something out. I was robbed of my memories for a reason, I think.

Bernadette steps forward, everyone else watching as things unfold. "Mary, I told you to leave that boy at home!"

"This is your nephew. You choosing friends over family is something you can live with, Bernie?" Her sister looked upset, very upset. "This is your nephew!"

Ms. Bernadette shook her head. "Don't do that now, Mary. You know what that boy did was wrong." My mother kept her eyes steady on Mary as she awaits a response. "You don't think he needs to be punished?"

"He's a child, they make mistakes." My mother shakes her head. Mary and my mother never saw eye to eye. They have always disliked one another but now, I'm sure they hate each other. "You need to stay over there Brenda! If you controlled your daughter instead of having her acting like a grown woman, nobody would be having charges pressed against them. The girl is fast!"

I am completely offended. "Wow," I scoff. "Mama, can we just book this place?" As much as I whine, I am in no position to go. I'm not prepared. My doggy bag hasn't been packed and I am still wrapped up in Prince.

"You're going to watch how you talk with my child's name in your mouth... Parenting the Hennepin County pervert!" Everyone's eyes are wide and glued to my mother. She was always the one to take high road, that's what she taught me. This one is a shock. "Mo, go make your plate so we can go to your Granny's house."