"You said you were hungry in the car, go on and eat. It's fine. I'll wait."

Kristen stubbornly lifted her chin. "I'd rather not. I'll get a doggy bag."

"Just eat."

"No. I'll get a doggy bag so we can leave and you can do whatever you have to do-"

"Damn, you're a pain in the ass. Will you just shut up and finish the got-damn salad?"

Kristen widely looked at him, her mouth open; her body rigid and trembling with anger. "What is your damn problem?"

"I don't have a problem. I'm just ready to go."

"Well, you don't have to be an asshole about it. We can leave. Call the waitress over and ask her for the damn check."

"You need to lower your voice."

"I need to lower my got-damn voice? You're the one who was screaming."

"Look Kayla-"

"Kristen!" she shouted as pounded her fist on the table. "My name is Kristen. Get it right asshole. You've been calling me the wrong name all afternoon. When you're not doing that you're asking me what my fuckin' name is every fifteen minutes. Do you want a pen and paper so you can write it down? Do I need to write it across my fucking forehead so you can just look at it when you can't remember?  Will that help your slow ass out?"

Roman nervously looked around the restaurant at the startled guests and nodded to them to assure them all was well, giving them one of his dazzling smiles. When he looked back at Kristen, that warmness instantly vanished. His eyes flared into hers as he leaned across the table. If she had any sense the look he was giving her would've scared the shit out of her but no one could ever call her sane.

"Lower, your voice," he said in an eerily calm tone.

"You're a fuckin' asshole and a fuckin' creep," she seethed through gritted teeth. "Is that low enough for you?"

They unflinchingly stared one another down, stubborn Bull to stubborn Bull, neither of them wanting or feeling the need to back down. Roman was the one to break first.

"I'm sorry," he spoke through his teeth, averting his eyes away from hers, before looking at her again. "Okay? I'm sorry."

Kristen's lip trembled as she looked at him, the threatening tears once again yearning to spill over. Fuck, she hated the weakness he pulled from her. "Just take me home."

Roman reached across the table and gently grabbed her wrist. Kristen gasped and looked down at it, staring widely at it like it was a two-headed spider. She was instantaneously rendered silent. The electricity that soared through her was so strong she was surprised the restaurant didn't explode. She would've moved her hand had it not felt so damn good. She wondered if he felt it too.

She cautiously looked up at him and swallowed when she saw the look in his eyes. He was trying not to show it but there something was there. She saw it. Not only that, she felt it. But as intimate as that short moment between them was, it was gone in a flash when he pulled his hand away from her scorching skin. He roughly ran his fingers through his hair and scrapped his chair back, throwing a wad of bills on the table as he stood.

"Let's go," he simply said as he walked out the restaurant.

Kristen dumbly sat there for a moment, staring vacantly at the seat he had just left, ignoring the curious glances of onlookers and the waitress, who had wandered back over when Roman left. She was rubbing Kristen's shoulder and asking if everything was okay. Kristen blankly looked at her and assured her it was. Then she grabbed her purse and left the restaurant, leaving the rest of her salad on the table. She was sure their altercation would be front page news tomorrow.

*******

For fifteen agonizing minutes they sat in his Hummer. Not talking. Not moving. Not looking at one another. The silence was deafening. The tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. They were still in the restaurant parking lot. As much of a hurry as he'd been in to leave, that all seemed to change once she'd come outside and gotten in the car beside him.

Kristen couldn't understand what was going on. Why was this happening? Who was he? What had happened to that sweet, dimple faced talented man she'd been in love with since first sight? The one who was always smiling and acting goofy during interviews? What was wrong with him? What was troubling him so badly? Worse than that, why was she still here? Why was she taking it? The entire afternoon had been nothing but awkward and uncomfortable. He was honestly the rudest man she had ever met in her life. She wanted him but fuck the dumb shit. She was not a pushover and she did not let men treat her any kind of way, she didn't care who it was. Roman was a celebrity and she'd wanted him for years but he didn't deserve the special treatment she was giving him. He didn't deserve a free pass.

Still, the softer side of her felt she shouldn't leave his side. Deep down, she knew it didn't have anything to do with her. The man was hurting. She just wished she knew why. She felt sorry for him and she didn't want to. But she couldn't help it. Based on the few hints Diego and Nick had given her, Roman was going through some heavy shit. Her heart went out to him. Every muscle in her body warned her to leave but her heart was urging her to stay. She honestly felt he didn't need to be alone. Neither did she. But where could they go from here?

Kristen jumped and looked over at Roman in surprise as he started the vehicle, the large roar of the engine startling her as she sat in the plush black leather seat. He sat still for a few moments, reflectively looking out the window at the passersby. Then...

"Kristen".

Kristen quietly gasped and looked over at him, her eyes wide. He remembered her name. He called her by name! Her actual name!

"I need to go by my apartment for a minute," he quietly said. He looked over at her, his eyes weary and heavy with emotion. "Do you want to come with me?"

Kristen breathlessly stared at him, weighing all her options in her mind. She should say no. She should go back to her hotel. She should find Joy and talk to her about the crazy and troubling afternoon she'd had. She should go back to the studio and resume her odd flirtation with Nick and Diego. Roman Dean was a train wreck and the last thing she needed was more drama in her life. Still, before she could stop herself she found herself saying...

"Yes."