Christmas

I sit on my couch watching an old favorite Christmas movie of mine. I glance down at my watch and see the time. Shai should be here any minute.

I invited her over for tonight, Christmas Eve, because I wanted to see her. It’s been almost four months since I’ve last seen her in person. Just then there is a small knock at the door and I quickly stand up, causing me to be dizzy. I stride over to the door and open it to see Shai shivering as the snow falls on her. I motion her to come in and she smiles at me gratefully as she does. She slips out of her coat and hangs it on the rack right next to mine.

I walk over to the kitchen counter and pick up my phone. I worked on making a long Christmas playlist for tonight. I click on and press shuffle. The first song that comes on is ‘Jingle Bell Rock’, and I smirk at Shai as her eyes light up. I start to dance around to the song, and soon after, Shai joins me. Our hands end up together, and we dance all around the kitchen and living room. When the song ends, Shai and I end up laughing together on the floor. I look up at the ceiling above us and spot one of the many mistletoe plants I hung up around the house. I nudge Shai and direct her attention to the ceiling as well. When she sees it she bursts out laughing and covers her face with her small hands. I turn to face her and pull her hands away from her face.

“It’s the rules of mistletoe.” I smirk. “Can’t defy them.”

She nods and shrugs in agreement. She moves her arms around my neck and holds tightly right beneath my hair. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her closer to me. She closes her eyes as she leans in toward me, and I do too. Her lips brush mine and my arms tighten around her. I press my lips to hers and her mouth opens against mine. She pulls back and situates herself so she sits on my lap. I take her face in my hands and brush over her cheekbone with my thumb. I hook my index fingers behind her ears and pull her to me. We press closer together as the kiss becomes deeper. Finally, we have to pull back for air and I bury my face in her neck.

“God, I love Christmas.” I whisper in her ear.

“Me too.” She says with a smirk.