Chapter One

I gripped the steering wheel with both hands, actually I would have gripped it with my teeth, toes, and ankles had my brain actually fired fast enough to send the message, “Red alert! Red alert!”

            Instead, mouth dry, I just sat there, like an idiot.

            I couldn’t think of anything to say to make it better---nothing. I couldn’t even give the guy a smile, which really was a shame considering it was my best asset.

            “Milo,” Colton tapped the door to my light blue Mercedes. “You look good.”

            I blinked. Well, I thought I blinked, I wasn’t really sure.

            One thing I was sure of—My mouth was still hanging open, slightly ajar. Drool would soon follow and then Colton would have just one more reason to make fun of me—Jason’s little sister.

            “You alright?” He leaned his muscled forearms against the open window and stuck his head in. Merciful God in heaven, he still smelled the same. A mixture of spicy cologne mixed with his perfect tan skin would have made any girl pause. Though, I wasn’t any girl. I was nobody.

            God must have taken pity on me, because for some reason in that instant, when the smell of Aqua Di Gio floated into my car, I snapped out of my insane moment and smiled.

            “Fine. Great. Awesome. Perfect. You?” Too many answers, Milo. Too many answers.

            Colton chuckled. It was a deep chuckle. The type that make girls sigh while simultaneously trying to figure out how to get out of their clothes and trap the man into marriage. Seriously. His smile was one that made girls want the condom to break.

            Great, now I was thinking about condoms.

            Condoms and Colton.

            A dog barking interrupted my sexual daydreams. It was Max’s ringtone. “Um, one second.” I put up my finger and shooed Colton away from the window as I pressed answer and let the window close. He smiled seemingly amused and leaned against the car.

            “How goes the first day of childhood Hell, my friend?”

            “That depends.” I whispered into the phone not taking my eyes off of Colton as he stood facing the window. Only he was tall enough that I was basically staring at his lower abs and lower…body. I felt my face blush crimson.

            “Why are we whispering?” Max, my best friend from college asked.

            “Because we are in the car.”

            “You are in the car. I’m at Starbucks.”

            “Whatever.” I snorted, “And it’s not going well. In fact I’m pretty sure Colton thinks I have a learning disability.”

            “Why would he think that?”
            I sighed into the phone and tried to concentrate on anything but the fact that Colton was standing a few inches away from me. So freaking close. “I kind of sort of…like blacked out when he was talking to me.”

            “So where are you now?”

            “We’ve established this. I’m in the car.”

            Max sighed, “Then where’s Colton?”

            “Outside the car.”