***

"So, how was it?" Bucky asks as I'm locked back in my cell.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought," I say honestly as I make my way to my bed. "It was still harrowing to watch her fight. I was afraid she might get severely hurt."

"You care for this girl."

"Well what do you expect?" I ask in annoyance, throwing my hands in the air. "She's about nine years old. She's just a child."

"Calm down," Bucky says which makes me roll my eyes. "I wasn't saying it as if it was a bad thing."

"I'm sorry," I sigh, "I don't know what's wrong with me. I keep losing my temper over the smallest things."

"Yeah, I've noticed." He mumbles under his breath.

I scoff and roll my eyes before lying down on my back and closing my eyes, trying to get some sleep again.

I seem to do that quite often nowadays.

***

I wake up, hearing the rattling of the cell door and I sit up and back up against the wall behind me. Although this happens pretty frequently, it still startles me every time.

I don't see anyone coming in and sigh in relief. I then turn to look at Bucky who's slowly waking up and I feel my eyes widen in fear as I see someone at the door of his cell. The person seems to be having some trouble with the door, it's stuck.

I place my hand on Bucky's shoulder and start shaking him, telling him to wake up.

Please, for the love of God, wake up!

Bucky sits up abruptly as he sees someone at the door. He curses, begs, panics. It's hard to watch.

I place my hand on his and he turns to look at me with fear in his eyes. I feel my eyes tearing up as I think of what they might do to him. I take his hand in mine and pull it closer, placing it on my chest.

I would tell him everything is going to be okay but I don't want to lie to him. Nothing will be okay after this.

I feel him pulling his hand away from me and placing it on my cheek, he looks at me, his eyes gazing every inch of my face as if he was trying to memorize all of it, even the smallest details.

"B-bucky," I say with a whisper. "What—"

"I'll never forget you," he says.

I feel a tear escaping my eye, falling to his hand but he still doesn't pull away. "Bucky, you don't even know if you'll come back or—"

"Never," he says lowly. He leans forward and places a gentle kiss on my forehead, letting his lips linger on my skin for a few seconds.

Then the cell doors open and he is pulled away from me. I scream, I shout, I beg for them to leave him alone and take me instead. I've been through the pain, I could do it again. For him.

I try to pull on the bars, as if I magically found the strength to rip them off and go over to the other side and knock the guy out just so he would leave Bucky alone but of course I am not strong enough to do any of that.

I scream, I cry and I beg some more. That is all manage to do.

I go over to the cell doors and place my hands on them, yanking, making them rattle. I watch in horror as Bucky is dragged away. He is fighting too of course, but he can't seem to do anything to get free.

I rest my back against the cold bars as I can no longer see him and let myself slide down to the floor with my knees bent in front of me. My cheeks are stained with tears and I feel like I can shed no more, still my sobs cannot be contained.

I hear the large lab doors closing and I tense up. Nothing good ever happens there.

As I start hearing Bucky's screams, I cover my ears with my hands, trying to drown out the awful, heart wrenching screams of agony. I shake my head and bite my lip, squinting my eyes closed.

He doesn't deserve any of this and I know that. If I could, I would take his place. I would much rather have it be me in there experiencing all that pain than him.

I know I've said "No sane person would ever take someone else's place to go through this hell." And I still stand by those words.

The thing is, although I do think what I said was correct, I can't help but want to change places with him right now.

For I am all but sane.

I'm going to try and update weekly starting now.

So... Bucky was taken away. How do you feel about that? What do you think will happen next?

How are you feeling about this story so far? I'd love to hear your thoughts.