Chapter Seven: The Pic-Nic

Start from the beginning

"I love Margaret as she is. I have no desire to clip her wings. And you must know that I am a man of honor. I would never impugn her virtue. I am not a boy of seventeen, Mr. Hale. I am familiar with self-denial." John understood the necessity of this conversation, but it was nonetheless uncomfortable.

"Let us speak no more of it. I believe that etiquette demands a visit from your mother to our household, but in the present circumstances..."

"My mother is aware of Mrs. Hale's condition. She will understand. Surely under these circumstances the rules of convention do not necessarily apply."

"I will ask Maria. She will know how these things are done correctly. She is quite the lady, you know. This despite the fact that she stooped so low as to marry a parson like me." Mr. Hale smiled again, and John was reminded of why he so valued the man's friendship. Richard Hale completely lacked pretension. There was not a shred of affectation in the man.

John stood. "I should take my leave. May I have your permission to call on Miss Hale this Saturday? Unfortunately, I will be quite busy with mill business until then, but I am certain I can rearrange things to spare the afternoon, should she be available. Perhaps we might go for a walk."

"Yes, I am sure you are busy getting the mill running again. You burn the candle at both ends-- I can see it in your face. I'm certain such an arrangement would be fine, John. Margaret's calendar is not so full that she would not be willing to prioritize her plans for her fiance. I will let her know. Shall we say eleven?"

John left, and was so caught up in replaying the day's events that he lost track of his surroundings until he was quite close to home. He found himself on the route he normally took between Crampton and New Street. The nearby Haight Street, with its profusion of dry goods establishments beckoned to him. The shops were long shut, but the bow windows set in cast iron facades held displays intended to enchant passersby.

One in particular caught his eye. Of course it was at the store Fanny most favored, Lewis and Farnett, the most expensive dry goods store in the row, and the one that had all the latest wares from London only a few months after their introduction in the capital. This window held a display of fitted wicker hampers from G.W. Scott and Sons, along with a placard describing how said hampers had recently been introduced at the Great Exposition in London. The hamper, intended for a pic-nic, was truly ingenious, as every space was put to use. The hamper contained compartment to hold three bottles, each covered in woven wicker for protection, plus four wicker-covered beakers. Each of these, in turn, held smaller jars for pickles and chutney, also covered in wicker. In the center of the hamper was space for six squared-off, covered silver dishes, each large enough to contain a hot entree or dessert. In the lid were place settings for four: ivory handled forks, spoons, and knives, and silver rimmed plates, all buckled into place with leather straps. John noticed that the inner lid buttoned to the wicker frame, with space above for a blanket. Next to the hamper, a pic-nic was set up, a hamper emptied, its contents displayed prettily on a buttercup yellow wool blanket that spoke of summers in someplace delightfully sunny and warm.

It was perfect, he realized.

John blanched at the price (although Fanny certainly would not have), but not before deciding that he and Margaret would be pic-nicking on Saturday. He had savings, the result of long years of fiscal restraint. Why not lavish a small fraction on someone he loved?

John hurried home, scrawled a hasty note to Stokes informing him of the small excursion the butler would need to take to Haight Street the next morning, as well as of the need to organize a menu for Saturday.

John slept very well that night.

  _____________________  

The following Saturday John showed up in Crampton at eleven a.m. on the nose. He was punctual by nature, but in this case, he didn't want to miss a minute of his allocated time with Margaret. He'd ordered horses for the day, as the site he chose for the pic-nic was outside of Milton proper and as the hamper, fully loaded, was quite heavy. He'd checked with his mother, however, for propriety's sake. He was happy to confirm that chaperones were not required for engaged couples during daylight, not even in covered carriages. That meant there was no need for Dixon or anyone else to blight their day together. He was looking forward to an afternoon alone with Margaret and the opportunity to get to know her better, unimpeded by the questioning looks and unnecessary comments of others.