15 Months of waiting, Sydney Shatterdomes and Hansens

Start from the beginning

    “I have no idea what your talking about, Pentecost!” I yelled, waving goodbye to him.

    “Call me if you hear from Raleigh?” I shouted at the last second, seeing the look flash over Pentecost’s face just before the door shut and sealed.

    I know he knew weather Raleigh was alive or not but, for some reason, he was keeping it from me. Maybe he thought I’d drop everything and run to his side. He was right to think it then. If I knew where and what Raleigh was doing, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

    After the pilot hollered for me to buckle up, I took one of the many empty seats and tightened the seatbelt once it was around my waist. The co-pilot had just used some of the seats near me to secure my bags. Reaching into the one closest to me, I pulled out one of the overly huge sweaters and pulled it over my head. This one was Yancy’s, it’s PPCD patch on it’s shoulder was coming off.

    Once we were in smooth flying, I unbuckled and stretched out on the seats, using my bag as a pillow as I hunkered down for a few hours of shut eye. I knew once I got there I’d want to get right to work on Striker. The sooner I got done, the sooner I could leave.

~ ~ ~

    “Lila, were about 4 minutes out, I suggest holding on.” The pilot’s voice rang loud through my nightmarish dreams.

    I shook my head and sat up, quickly buckling up as the first bump hit. I knew I’d never be able to outrun the nightmares of that night  that plagued my mind every time I closed my eyes. Yancy’s screams and Raleigh’s pain was still strong in my memory.

    When we came to a shaky, steady hault, I finally looked out the window. Sydney was a beautiful city and even after being attacked several times by the Kaiju, they continued construction and it looked even more beautiful every time they fixed it up. Even the sea that held the evil beasts looked breath-taking.

    Rising from my seat, I shouldered my two light bags and carried my tools in my hands, shimmying my way down the ramp.

    “Welcome to Sydney, Miss. Yale.” I turned to the heavy Australian accent and nearly tripped on my tools as I quickly recognized the face.

    A small smile sat comfortably on the man’s face. His short shaved Go-t and beard went all the way back to his ears in a bright orange band. Taunt muscled arms were crossed and his feet were slightly apart, almost standing at ease. Short dark orange hair sat crazily on his head. And his blue eyes looked me over almost casually.

    He gave my sleep groggy, baggy PPDC sweater that fell to my knees, regulated blue cargo pants and shiny black boots a raised eyebrow. I tried to pat down my hair, knowing it probably looked like a rat’s nest. That brought a grin to the man’s face.

    “N-No way! Hercules Hansen, sir. I mean- I-.” I tried to act cool but my excitement took over the second my mouth opened.

    “I‘m sorry.” Clearing my throat, I fought the blush that threatened to take over my cheeks.

    “It‘s alright” Herc chuckled, offering his hand out for one of my bags. I gladly handed over the tools and I saw him go slightly off balance and quickly recover, eyes wide with shock.

    “Jesus, Sheila, what the hell did you pack?” I laughed and sent an apologetic smile to the seasoned Ranger.

    “I always bring my own tools.” With a grunt from Herc and another laugh from me, we made it into the elevator that would take us down to the Shatterdome deck, where Striker Eureka was.

    “I‘ve been a huge fan of your fighting. I‘m sorry to hear about your brother, have you been able to find a new co-pilot?” I nearly shouted out after several seconds of silence. I immediately internally kicked myself in the head for saying the first thing that came to my mind.