Chapter 10: The Battle of Big Ben

Start from the beginning

'For a slender mouse, he is very strong.' You think as your father reaches out for you while Dawson holds him by his apron and Olivia watches all of this in awe.

"Closer, Dawson! Closer!" Basil said as your father leans forward as far as he can but you can barely reach each other.

"I can't reach!" You shouted as Ratigan leaps of to the striking hammer, nearly falling, but scrambles up and leaps forward.

Basil turns around to see this and tosses you in the air as Ratigan catches Basil midsection and the two topple downward. Your father catches you before you fall and he helps you up on the match box and you hug him as Olivia runs over to you two and hugs the both of you.

Down below, Ratigan is still holding onto Basil. He tries to grasp the top of the tower but between the rain and Ratigan's weight, he can't get a good grip. They separate as they fall down the face of the clock. Midfall, Ratigan grabs Basil again and they hit the hour hand. Basil is sent flying across and lands, his upper body laying over the edge. His vision blurred for only a second but he moves back, Ratigan is nowhere in sight as Dawson shouts. "Basil! Over here!"

As the four of you approach the edge of the hand, Basil looks over to the four of you and is relieved to see that you made it. He smiles as he sees you, his heart leaps into his chest as he starts to take a step forward but, unfortunately, Ratigan attacks him from behind, lifting him up with one arm. Basil manages to wriggle free and runs up towards the edge but Ratigan is there, blocking his path.

"There's no escape this time, Basil!" Ratigan growls as Basil slides down the hand and tries to put distances between himself and the raging rat, but he is there, once more, blocking him. Ratigan holds out his hand and unsheathes his razor-sharp claws and hits Basil twice with such a force it sends him flying back.

You scream as you watch this and Dawson tries to steer the float closer to Basil.

Ratigan hits Basil again, this time in the face and drawing blood. Basil stumbles back, his hands covering a gash across his muzzle. A hard swipe across the chest knocked him off his feet.

Gnashing his teeth, Ratigan swung downward as Basil turned his back on him to try and stand up. The black claws met their mark this time, slicing into the flesh of Basil's back and sending pieces of fur and cloth flying. Basil cries out, falling to his knees as Ratigan gives another heavy blow, smacking him to the very tip of the hour hand.

Basil scrambles away from the edge and staggered up again, clutching his bleeding arm in pain. Ratigan is upon him again and gives a brutal smack to the throat, the battered mouse was flung up in the air and over the edge, where he just managed to grab hold.

Ratigan snarls with frustration as he looks down, surveying the drop. Basil stares up at him with huge, terrified eyes, his tattered jacket blowing in through gusts. Ratigan, who was just above him, raises his bloody hand high over his head.

"NO!" You screamed as lightening strikes.

Basil braces himself but Ratigan's blow sends him down.

You and Dawson try to grab Basil but miss. You two stare in disbelief as he plummets to the ground. Ratigan can't believe it, he did it! He finally won! A cruel smile spreads across his face as he leaps up and laughs maniacally. "I won!" He shouts.

"On the contrary!" Basil said and you looked down to see that he grabbed onto the propeller of the ruined dirigible as well as something else of value for Ratigan. "The game's not over yet!" Basil said and he rings Felicia's bell.

Ratigan check his pockets for his missing bell but the clock strikes 10:00. The striking hammer falls and Big Ben sounds off. The vibrations force Ratigan over the edge and he falls. He makes one final grab at Basil, catching him by his jacket.

The rope snaps under the extra weight and Ratigan falls as Basil clings to the propeller, which has snapped free.

You, Olivia, Flaversham and Dawson are helpless as both Ratigan and Basil disappear below the clouds. Olivia turns to her father and begins to sob as you fall to your knees and place your hands over your face and you begin to cry.

Then suddenly, you hear a squeaking sound approaching. You remove your hands from you face and look down and see Basil slowly making his way back up, pedaling with all his might as the propeller is lifting him up higher. "Ho ho! Hooray!" Dawson exclaims. "Hooray! It's Basil!" Olivia shouted as your father picks her up and hugs her and jumps up and down. You and Dawson hug each other as Dawson said. "Good fellow. Jolly good! Ha!"

As Basil makes it up to the float, he quickly jumps off and lands on the surface and you run towards him and tackle him with a hug. He hugs you back and spins you around. "I thought I'd never get to see you again." You whispered to him. He looks back into your (e/c) eyes and smiles as he strokes your cheek.
"Nor I you." He replies and you smile as he leans down and kisses you while the others watch you two, smiles on their faces.