Chapter 1.

It hadn't been long since Kakuzu had left Takigakure.

Well, 'left' was probably playing things down a little, considering he'd practically destroyed the prison he'd been locked up in, killed the village elders and taken Earth Grudge Fear for himself. Not that he cared after what they'd done to him. Still, he'd headed off immediately in order to get away as fast as he could. He didn't care where he was going right now, considering it didn't really matter, if it just meant he was out of the way and without having to have anyone on his back anymore. Right now Takigakure ninjas were still coming after him, trying to hunt him down and kill him. Kakuzu doubted they'd be able to put a scratch on him, let alone kill him, but there was no point taking any risks, especially when he wanted to get away from here and forget about that place. The moment he had defected he had gotten a new life away from the village, and there was no way he was letting them take him back. If he never saw the place again, or anyone he'd known when living there, he wouldn't feel any sadness. He wouldn't care at all.

So far it had been a day, and Kakuzu had managed to get to a place the night before where he felt safe enough to go to sleep—at least for a little while—without being ambushed or disturbed. Once he'd woken up, he'd set off immediately and travelled for most of the day, stopping off only to eat. But as the day went on, and the sky eventually began to dim as the sunset started, Kakuzu found the place he was looking for. The village was nothing special, just a regular medium sized village that served as a pit stop for numerous people that came through, whether tourists, ninjas or just travellers on their journeys. But it wasn't the village that Kakuzu was interested in. He could stop in any village he wanted to, and in general he had to be careful where he stopped off in case the Takigakure ninjas that were after him heard rumours of where he was and managed to catch up. What he was really after was the bar that was in the village. There was a guy he knew would be there, and he wanted to get his help in order to get the Takigakure ninjas off his back. He'd heard rumours of him as he had been travelling, and Kakuzu knew that it would be a good idea to get a little help. It wouldn't need to be much, but once they were gone, he was free to do what he liked.

As such, he went slowly through the village, looking out for the bar, not bothering to ask anyone for directions. The less people he talked to, the better—it left no traces that way. Therefore he continued on alone, keeping an eye out until eventually he finally spotted it, heading over instantly and making his way inside inconspicuously. Going to the bar first, he ordered a drink, slowly sipping it as he leant against the bar, not bothering to sit down. The bar was quiet, but not empty; there were still groups of people here and there talking amongst themselves. He stood out a little for being on his own, before he noticed he wasn't the only one, with someone sitting right next to him with their own drink. They were wearing a cloak with the hood up, so he couldn't see what they looked like, but Kakuzu got the feeling they were a ninja with how quiet they were being; how easily they blended in. It wasn't until a moment later, however, that he realised she was a woman, as she shifted, and even with a shirt that went up to her neck, there was no mistaking her physique as anything but female.

Brushing that fact off, having more important things to concentrate on right now, Kakuzu returned to looking around the bar for the man he was searching for. After a few moments he managed to spot him: sitting at one of the tables in the far corner, talking with another guy quickly and quietly, some money being exchanged simultaneously. Obviously Kakuzu wasn't the only person wanting to do business with this guy, but he'd do what it took to get what he needed as quickly as possible. He watched them constantly out of the corner of his eye as the deal continued, until eventually it seemed the deed was done, the other guy now standing up and nodding in acceptance, before turning and heading straight for the exit. Then again, in much the same way for Kakuzu, he was only there to talk to him. There wasn't anything else keeping him there, and once he was finished, he'd be doing the exact same thing and getting out of there. So with that in mind, and glancing over to see the guy now flicking through the money he'd received to make sure it was all there, Kakuzu decided to take his chance. He wasn't busy, the place was quiet...the circumstances were right. Gulping down the rest of his drink, he pushed himself off of the bar and turned to head over to him, ready to make a deal.

"I wouldn't go to him, if I were you."

Her soft, lilting voice caught him out for a second, and Kakuzu merely halted in place, saying and doing nothing for a moment. It was the woman who'd been sitting next to him, evidently, but in the same way when he'd first glanced at her he'd thought there was something unusual, it wasn't stopping now. Her voice was very melodic and pleasant to listen to—somehow it didn't fit the location, and no doubt there was more about her that was interesting. But there was still the matter of what she had said, and as such Kakuzu turned around to face her, seeing she had turned her gaze to meet him. The shadow of her hood didn't fully reveal her face, but regardless of the darkness her bright gold eyes shone through and almost glowed. Narrowing his eyes at that, surprised but intrigued, Kakuzu questioned,

"Why?"

"He'll help you, I'm not saying he won't. But the moment he's had enough—that he's felt he's done enough work—or he gets bored, he'll betray you without a second thought." She returned bluntly, never moving her gaze from his in the meantime. Not that Kakuzu was taking his eyes away from her—there was something about her that made him pause. Whether it was the look in her eye or just the way she was in general, he didn't know, but Kakuzu was curious about her. It took a moment for him to realise he was at the bar for a reason, and he needed to get on with it, and as such he pushed away his curiosity to reply firmly, a glare beginning to form,

"I can deal with it. I need it done immediately, and it's not like there's many out there who can help me."

"Yeah; if you count the people who spread their reputation around everywhere for the sake of it. If you're looking help done quickly and well, Dai can help you out."

Her response was blunt, her suggestion casual, and she tilted her head back as she spoke, flicking her gaze to the right, causing Kakuzu to follow the direction she was motioning to. Instantly he spotted a man in the far left corner of the bar, and narrowing his eyes at the sight, Kakuzu gritted his teeth straight away. He didn't want to admit it, but right off the bat he couldn't help but feel she was right about this guy. Thinking over what the first guy had looked like to this one, it was obvious in the difference. He was calm and quiet as he spoke to the man in front of him, thinking things over before he accepted the money; and once the deal was completed, they shook hands before the man left, and it overall appeared as if this guy was more trustworthy, Kakuzu had to confess—or at least to himself. After all, why exactly should he trust this woman? He didn't know her. She'd just been sitting there and suddenly spoke up to give him 'advice'. What kind of person did that in this kind of place? Even if it seemed better, how could he really be certain?

Though Kakuzu didn't get a chance to make a decision, as a moment later the door slammed open, and snapping his head round to face it, Kakuzu saw a guy storm in, a glare on his face as he strode up to the guy Kakuzu had been planning on getting help from. Wondering just what was going on, he kept his eye on them both, getting the feeling this would help to answer his dilemma, which was answered a moment later as the guy pointed at him and yelled,

"You betrayed me!"

The woman had just been proved entirely right.

And strangely enough, Kakuzu didn't feel suspicious about her.