Summer of Love

This story is based on the songs The Sound of Silence covered by Disturbed, Not Giving Up On Love by Myon and Shane 54 and Dig by Incubus. Lyrics used are copyrighted to Incubus and myself. The second set of lyrics are original ones written by me.

"No, Simon please don't do it." I begged him hoping that my words wouldn't fall upon ears deafened by the negativity of the world around him.

He replied sharply, "What's left for me to go on for? Everything I know is a fucking lie! Everything around me is crumbling, everybody has turned their back on me and there's nothing that I can do to prevent it." Simon continued as a tear slid down his face, "The only thing left for me is the deafening sound of silence. You don't know how long I've wanted to do this. For once, just think of somebody else other than yourself Alvin!"

I continued calmly, "I am thinking of somebody other than myself. I'm thinking of Dave, Theodore, the girls, our friends and fans that love to see you smile and everybody that looks up to you. We all have something that digs at us and makes us dig at each other. It's how we chose to deal with it that makes a difference between life and death. We both know how much potential you have, but unlike you, I want to help nourish it. Please Simon, I'm begging you, don't do it!"

For the last three months Simon has been degrading himself to the point of having suicidal tendencies. It all started when Ms. Ladd, our algebra teacher told him that his life would never amount to anything and the world would be better off if he were to put it to an end. I'm afraid that because of what that crusty old cunt said he'll hurt himself...or worse. I was most likely the first to notice the cuts on his arms, and why I never did anything about it I'll never know. I regret not speaking up about it. I hope there's some way that I can make up for my neglect.

It's no wonder he hates me so much. I can't blame him. It's not easy seeing him in such a distraught state of being. Summer is supposed to be a time of new independence and fun, but just three weeks into the summer break, it's been nothing but pure Hell for all of us. Theodore has been at summer camp with a cold and can't return home until he's over it, Dave hasn't been home for more than a few hours at a time and Simon has been battling his depression that seems to swallow him deeper every day. The way he once looked at the world with such amazement and satisfaction has been replaced with a blank stare and cold eyes. The kind of eyes that pear through one's soul into their most inner being and leaves them with a feeling of dread and unease almost as if they're pleading for some sort of relief from the pain he feels inside.

I, along with everybody around him have tried to pull him from his inner struggle. This is without a doubt the lowest point that I've ever seen him. I would give anything and everything I have to see him happy again. I hope that I can pull him out of this slump and make him realize that he means the world to me. There's got to be a better way for him to find relief than with a cold, metallic blade digging into his skin causing puddles of blood to form and leaving scars on his body. Nobody should ever have to endure the torture of being pushed to that place. No matter how alone you feel, there's always somebody out there to comfort you. I am that one person for Simon, I just wish he could open up his eyes and see it before it's too late.

I grabbed his hand he held the knife in and forced him to drop it on the floor. It nearly hit my foot in the process, but at least he couldn't harm himself. I hugged him tightly as his body began to tremble. With each breath he exhaled, he winced as if the simple act of breathing was putting more pressure on his body than he could physically tolerate. My heart ached for him. Simon shouldn't have to feel so defeated by the world.

It was undeniable that he needed somebody to be there for him. I whispered in his ear, "You don't need the approval of the world. The way I see it, you're the smartest, funniest, most loving person alive. You always give until it hurts and do it with a smile and a humble attitude. If you can put up with me then you must have the patients of a saint and a heart as big as the moon. I think anybody else would have disowned me long ago. I hate seeing you like this. You deserve to be happy. To Hell with Ms. Ladd, she doesn't know shit! You could be a better teacher than her any day of the week. Please Simon, stay for us...for me."