A Plan

I wake up to the sound of a jet engine check at 5:00 am. Just another day of space camp. "Dad!" I yell down to my father, Cahlen, a literal rocket scientist who is one of the lead scientists on the Doppelganger project. "Dad! What time is it?"
"It's time for you to get your butt out of bed and get dressed"
The newscast is still talking about the "end of the world." This whole thing is stupid. I have always wanted to go to space, but, not because the world was ending. I don't even get to enjoy it, I'll be stuck in a frigin' box the whole way there. "Yeah sure, I'll do it if you make breakfast!" My Dad hardly ever makes breakfast, hell, he's hardly even home anymore. He's too busy working on Doppelganger. I get dressed and run down the stairs to eat a quick breakfast and run out the door. Hopefully I'm not late. Thirty minutes and the longest run of my life later, I finally make it to camp in time for once. Everyday, at precisely at 12:00 pm, I have to do stasis training, and let me tell you, it sucks ass. They just shove you in a dark box in freezing cold water, naked! It's awful. I feel like I should be savoring my time on earth. In a couple days we'll be off to the stars and I'll never see this planet ever again. I spend the rest of my day thinking about all of the stuff I'll miss, and on my way home I see a weird looking girl, she looks like she's 15, I'm 17 by the way. Anyways, I go home and dream about the Alaskan mountains.