“Ol’ fashioned fighting in the sunset. Think two knights in shiny armor, lance in their hand, thrusting and parrying.” Ren interjected, mimicking the thrust of a fencer, and I giggled a little at his dramatic gestures.

Kain smiled a little at that, though I could still see he was annoyed at Ren’s interruption.

“Being vampires, they fought for day and night. Neither was tired out. We do not crumble in sunlight, but the sensitivity to light does affect us. However, it affected neither Drake nor Lucifer. They fought gallantly. They fought for their lives, their love and a world that belonged to them. Most importantly, they fought for Sephina’s love. But Sephina could not bear the two men she loved fighting each other. It was the end of the third night, and both Drake and Lucifer were tired out. They had their last inch of strength left, and they stared at each other gripping tightly to their swords. They charged at each other for the last time.”

Ren sat up immediately, clapping his hands in anticipation. Though I was sure Ren knew the story like the back of his hand too, he seemed as engrossed in Kain’s storytelling as I was.

“But before they could impale each other in their hearts, Sephina was there. She stood between them, arms outstretched. But for all their vampire speeds, they could not stop their blades in time. Both swords impaled Sephina’s heart and their tips touched within her heart. Both vampires cried out in their utmost grief as Sephina breathed her last. She tried to explain that she loved both of them, and with a kiss on both their cheeks, she left the world.”

Kain sighed a little, taking another sip from the wine.

“But her death was not the glue she thought it would be. Instead, the two vampires swore that they would destroy each other utterly in vengeance for Sephina. Killing each other wasn’t enough now that they had killed Sephina. They aimed their families. Then, slowly, they began to amass their own supporters and followers. They built their own communities, their councils, and in the end, the created their kingdoms. Lucifer kept his name. Drake changed his name to Dragos. Their legacy of hatred against each other passed down the generations.”

“Up to us.” I continued, finally understanding the feud between my kingdom and the Dragos. At least I understood what the Dragos was now –vampires from another kingdom that was brought up to hate us.

“It is stupid; to fight for generations on end for a lover whose death was contributed on both sides.” Kain admitted, taking another sip. His blue eyes were getting clouded, a sign of what I guessed was frustration.

“But if we know this story, then why can’t our kingdoms get together and make peace? I mean, everyone knows that Sephina’s death was both Drake and Lucifer’s fault, isn’t it?”

“But the problem, darlin’, is that they don’t.” Ren answered my question now, leaning over the arm of his chair to poke his head in our direction, butting into our conversation, where Kain was sitting across me. “The story that Kain told you is the mages’ version of the story. The story in your kingdom that was taught to all young vampires –including you –was that Drake took Sephina as hostage and killed her. Luciferians like you are taught to believe that Dragos are vampires who are backstabbers and barbarians. The same is likewise for the Dragos vampires.”

“Then how do I know if your version is the most accurate?”

Ren shrugged. “The mages’ version was given by their vision of the fight. Moon Goddess must have discovered her two most powerful vampires fighting, and sent a distress signal to the mages in hope that they will help. Of course, we mages don’t like to dab our hands in something so bloody.”

“But you could have stopped a war between the kingdoms!”

Ren shrugged again, shifting so that his head was hanging off the arm of the chair, looking at me upside down.