Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

“Tendra!” Rupert shouted as Ray, in wolf form, whined.

                She couldn’t support herself, she was shaking too much. She couldn’t think and she was sure she was shouldering some of Ray’s own emotions as well her own. Overwhelmed by sadness she lost her wolf form. Her legs slowly reappeared smooth, flesh coloured and human. Her body followed and her human form returned fully.

                She lay on the floor naked, shaking and looking at the dead. “I should not have come here.” She whispered.

“Of course you should have, come on.” Rupert pulled off his shirt and placed it around her shoulders where she then pulled it around to cover herself. The men had averted their eyes out of politeness and also so as to keep their necks attached. Ray wasn’t impressed at seeing her vulnerable and naked on the floor. He whined again when she was covered up.

“Come on Tendra, you can ride on Ray’s back.”

                She was going to protest but she didn’t have the time or the strength. Rupert simply lifted her from the floor and placed her on the wolf’s back.

“Where are we going?

“Pack house. Not far from here. We have a safe house in case of emergencies, we can fit everyone in and it’s locked with shutters and titanium bolts. No one gets in who isn’t one of our pack.”

                With a last glance at the bodies on the floor she turned to watch the way that Ray took her. The circle still surrounded her but the calm had vanished. Replaced was a hard exterior on every single one of the males around her. The sight had not only shocked them but had hurt them deeply. They would not get over this any time soon and Tendra was a little afraid of the consequences this would bring. She couldn’t help but think that there would be a war and wolf wars were deadly. They lasted until the enemy were either completely wiped out, killed in other words, or until one side surrendered. And wolves never surrendered.

                To think that she had pushed Ray away, she had tried to tell him he did not matter to her and now at the thought of him partaking in a wolf war she was worried sick at the thought of losing him. She felt a gut wrenching, sickening motion in the pit of her stomach as she thought of seeing him lying dead on the ground. In his wolf form he was a majestic and powerful Alpha, to see him lying dead, she didn’t want to imagine it. She Hated herself for seeing it in her mind. But she was also afraid. Terribly afraid of seeing that image played out for real.

                Tim came to her mind and she clutched harder at Ray’s fur. She started to chant under her breath, “Let him be alright, let him be alright.” She had not seen his body strewn on the floor and for that she would be eternally grateful, but right now she wanted him in her arms; she wanted to feel his hair and his little arms wrap around her. She needed to. The journey to this safe house was one that took forever to Tendra, though it probably didn’t take the hours that it felt. She held her breath as they got to it.

                It looked like a mansion made of steel. It wasn’t the prettiest thing she had ever seen and yet strangely she liked it. Three stories high and so wide she didn’t try to measure it, the shiny metal exterior looked clean - weird - but safe. It looked like getting into it would be incredibly difficult.