Chapter One

A/N: This video:

You have to watch it. It's only three and a half minutes long! :3

***

Kid Flash started walking up and down the room, thinking hard.

"What's he doing?" Asked Miss Martian to Artemis.

Without taking her eyes off Wally, Artemis answered. "He's chosen the most defendable area in the room, counted all the bad guys, counted all the exits and now he's calculating the exact distance we're standing apart and is starting to worry. Oh, and look at him frowning now! 'Something is wrong and we're going to find out what' and he fixes his hair."

"You're going now." Stated one of the villains.

"Going where?" Said Aqualad, annoyed.

"What do you know about The Asylum?" Asked Vandal Savage, answering the question with another question.

"There's a rumour that you have a dumping ground." Artemis stated. "An island where you lock up all the experiments that go wrong. The battle-scarred, the insane, the ones even you can't control. Which never made any sense to me."

"Why not?"

"Why don't you just kill them? Not that I'm condoning that sort of behaviour, I just mean, it's not like you have morals or anything." Artemis said.

"It would be offensive for us to kill such divine, cruel experiments." Replied The Brain.

"Offensive?" Superboy questioned, disgusted.

"I thought you'd run out of ways to make me sick. But hello again." Said Kid Flash, barely containing his anger. "You think cruel experiments are divine?"

No one answered the Speedster's question and the circle which they had moved off of and had been the ceiling of the white room they had been on earlier opened up, revealing an island with a force field around it, making it clear to them that the base was on some sort of aircraft.

"The Asylum. It occupies the entire island. Right to the centre." Said an unknown villain, changing the subject.

"How many experiments are in there?" Aqualad asked, being the logical one, looking down at the island and putting his disgust aside to focus on himself and his team.

"A count has not been made but millions, certainly."

"All still alive?" Superboy asked.

"It has to be assumed. The Asylum is fully automated, supervision is not required."

"Armed?" Asked Artemis.

"Our experiments are always armed." They stated.

"What colour?" Wally asked as they all stood looking down at the island.

The rest gave him a funny look.

"Sorry, there wasn't any good questions left." Wally replied, his mood seemingly changed back to his usual happy go lucky one.

Ignoring them one of the villains continued. "This signal is being received from the very heart of The Asylum." They played the signal:

'Can't take it anymore, need to put you in bed. Sing you a lullaby where you die at the end.'