ChapterOne

Lake Anna, Virginia
■■■

      I listened to the sound of gravel on the thick tires of my jeep as I slowed to a stop, slipped the car in park right in front of his porch and turned off the engine.

I hopped off the tall, black matte vehicle and slammed the door shut. I glanced out to the barn, several figures stood outside, looking my way. I ignored the stares as the high heels of my boots made hollow noises as I walked up the porch, opening the door and letting myself in.

"You can't think of one single thing you did wrong?" I heard Lewis' voice from the kitchen.

"I'm not perfect, but this one's not my fault." Hurley' voice became louder as I rounded the corner, "I am busier than shit trying to see which one of these boys has the right stuff. I'm not responsible for the turds she dumps on my lap."

I leaned on the doorframe, silently watching this argument play out.

"Were left with two options," Lewis spoke, "either this kid is really good or you're losing a step," he took a drink from her glass, "which is it?"

"I haven't lost a step!" Hurley yelled, "I just underestimated him, that's all."

My laugh cut through their conversation, "A recruit did all that?" I pointed at Hurley's bruised face.

"She set me up." Hurley pointed at Kennedy.

"I did not." Kennedy spoke calmly.

"Which recruit that kicked his ass?" I asked, taking a seat at the table, I had all their files memorized.

"He didn't beat me." Hurley grumbled as he lit a cigarette.

"Well... that's debatable. From what I've heard he had you beat and the only way you got out of it was by cheating."

"Yeah... well, life's not fair."

"So which recruit messed up your pretty face?" I smiled at Hurley once more.

"His name is Mitch Rapp." Kennedy spoke up.