I ran my hands over my face, before dropping them into my lap. "I know I fucked up, Sam. I just—Can we just head back to the room?" I clenched my jaw and stared blankly out the window, running the pad of my thumb against my bottom lip.

           Sam pursed his lips and gave me another once-over, before he nodded, "Yeah, man." He kicked the Civic into drive and took a sharp U-turn. The red gleam of the brake lights disappeared into the furl of the heavying rain and clouds of exhaust in the January night.

Twenty-Four Hours Ago

           "Hey, Steve! We got a table that needs a refill!" I looked up from entering a table's bill into a register, and Wanda came by with a tray full of empty glasses. She began to unload them into the tray of other freshly cleaned glasses by the drink machine.

I continued entering the numbers. "Okay, give me a minute. I have to finish putting this in." Wanda set her round-tray on a stack of them, before wiping her hands on her apron. She came over.

           "It's Sam. He needs to talk to you." I paused and looked at Wanda, my brow furrowed. She waved me off, "Just bring him and Tony some beers, I'll take this over." I nodded and walked behind the bar, grabbing two beer bottles from the hidden ice chest under the counter, and began searching for the two football players.

           Even if I had grown quite comfortable around Bucky's friends, nothing like this has ever happened. They usually made sure they were seated in my waiting area and that was about it. I have hung out with Sam a few times, when Bucky had to go off and do something, so I could deem the quarterback my friend. Sam had stopped his hopeless flirting months ago and it was more comfortable being around him now.

I found the two seated at a booth, eating their burgers, and gazing at one of the TV's showing the Thursday night football game. Sam glanced at me as I neared, and swallowed his mouthful of burger, before thanking me for the beer. Tony did the same.

I glanced around, before leaning on the table. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Sam and Tony shared a look, causing my suspicion to rise.

           Tony grabbed his beer and sat back against the leather, he cleared his throat. "Wilson, I think it would be best coming from you." I stared at Tony for a moment, before the movement of Sam taking his phone out of his pocket caught my attention.

           "Wait." I furrowed my brow, "What happened?"

           Sam sighed, "You know how Bucky has been kind of skipping out on hanging out with you for the past six or so months?" His fingers paused in scrolling on his phone and my heart about stopped.

           No.

           He wouldn't.

           He flipped his phone around and pressed play. The audio was mixed with blaring music and voices, but someone had video of Bucky taking a pill from a guy standing behind the couch. He placed it on his tongue, before a girl came into view and sat next to him. Bucky grinned and she pressed her lips to his, it was obvious he pushed the pill into her mouth. The video kept going and I knew Bucky was enjoying every moment.

I couldn't breathe. I could hardly think as I tore your eyes away from the phone, and lightly pushed the phone back towards Sam. He slid it back into his pocket and gave me his sympathy by grasping my hand. I squeezed his hand tight and let out a shaky breath, the tears still unable to come.

           "I'm sorry, Steve. I hated covering up for him and he doesn't know that I planned on doing this." Sam slid out of the booth and took me into his arms, mumbling into my hair, "You deserved to know." I squeezed his solid form, before pulling away. Sam kept his hands on my shoulders and ducked his head to meet my gaze.