Chapter 25 - Reunited

Beginne am Anfang

"Davina?"

"Emma?"

"You're...you're..." She stutters in shock.

I look up, seeing the Shadows, and jump to my feet, "No time to chat. Run," I say and pull her up.

"Follow me," Emma instructs and we run in the direction she was coming.

"What's after us?" Emma shouts.

"The Shadows!" I yell back.

"Why?"

"I'll explain! Just keep running!" I shout, and we speed up.

We see a cave, and we have the same idea to quickly jump in as we run past. We roll, but end up crouching inside, and there's no way they can see us.

"Why are they chasing you?" Emma whispers, breathless.

"I will explain, but for now, shhhh," I say, my lungs burning.

We crouch in silence, trying to keep our breathing quiet, but it's difficult after running for so long. We can see the Shadows swooping around in the sky, looking for us. Eventually — thankfully — they give up, and they vanish. We wait for a little while to make sure they're gone. We crawl out, brushing off the ashy dust that stuck to us from the cave.

"Come with me. I think someone will want to see you," Emma says, and she leads us to what I assume is where their camp is.

- - -

I stay behind slightly whilst Emma walks into camp.

"Hook, I found something for you!" Emma shouts as she walks in.

I can see them all from where I stand, and Hook turns to her, frowning. I take that as my cue and appear from behind the tree. I'm grinning, Hook is shocked. As soon as I'm on flat ground, I run to him, his arms open wide and mine wrap around him.

"Hook!" I say as his arms circle around me.

"Davina!" He replies and I can hear the smile in his voice. We pull away, and he holds my shoulders at arm's length, "And you're alive!"

"Quite the shock, isn't it?" I say, grinning even more.

"I don't know how you've done it. Especially with your plans. Speaking of which, do you want to tell me what you were thinking when you wrote your letter?" He says.

"Good to have you back, Uncle." I reply, dodging his question.

"What I want to know, is how you're alive," Emma says from behind me. "Or at least, out of the camp. You were the last thing I was expecting to see out there."

I let out a long sigh, "Honestly? I don't know. And I'll give you all an explanation, but, right now...I have family matters I need to attend to," I say, looking up at Hook with a sad smile, realising that I'd be talking about my parents' death for the first time in what only feels like months, but has been years.

"Aye. I've got plenty of rum, and you've got plenty to say," Hook says, smiling, but apprehensive of the subject.

"Just like we used to," I say, and he nods.

We go off to the side, where there's a fallen tree to sit on, and a little more privacy. Hook sits down first, retrieving his flask of rum. I retrieve my own and take a swig before we even begin.

"So, what's that brother of mine up to then? Where is he? Why's he left you on this God-awful place?"

I hang my head, pressing my eyes shut so tightly it hurts as I try to suppress the tears. I take a deep breath. "That's what we need to talk about."