"How so?" I demanded.

"That was a lame attempt at seduction on someone silly enough to just stand there and take it."

My eyes widened at that outburst.

Peter looked stricken after that, but said nothing.

We looked at each other in a few tensed moments, then turned back to watching almost at the same time.

We went on watching the movie in silence.

"Good. A tragedy. I like it." Peter muttered under his breath when the movie ended.

Ganoon? He likes tragedies? Waaaaaaaahy!

"They did good on this one," another comment from him.

"Aren't you pleased they ended in each other's arms?" I asked him, wanting him to show his romantic side.

To which Peter replied a disappointing, "The ending is so cliché you could imagine it even in your sleep. Love is always, always over-rated."

My eyes widened at that, the jolt of raw pain slicing through me.

***

When your heart daw is in your dream, no request is too extreme. And if you wish pa daw upon a star, your dreams will come true.

Yeah, yeah.

Now don't point out I was like Gemini Cricket who sang the song to Pinocchio. Pero honestly, I believed in that since I was a kid. For me, nothing short of dreaming and praying could give me my heart's desire.

There was one time, in one of our meetings at Java's and there was no Lily yet to share the table with us, my mind ran riot as I wondered what could Peter have seen in me to bother with me same time everyday, when he can have a dozen others to accompany him if he just wished to bide his time. I was beginning to imagine, and hope, that maybe... maybe he had a liking for me, something that went beyond mere friendship. I looked for signs every time he spoke my name, or look me in the eye, or tell me about his day, or just sit there with me and push on my side snacks I really didn't need.

But I killed the illusions as he spoke of almost nothing but the love of his life, and I determined since then not to push my dreams to where it might hurt me in the end.

But dreams are treacherous pala if you didn't kill them talaga and just shoved them at the back of your psyche. Because right now, I was so filled with hurt and dismay that the first time I love forever was... well...

I stood up then, to Peter's surprise, because really! The man was just so Lily-washed it was sickening! And I knew I was being obvious, being careless now, but Lily's no presence seemed to have let out my inner devil.

I hated it now, what I used to be these past few days, so fucking plastik with myself I thought I could live my life without him. But a few hours alone with Peter were never enough. I knew that now.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Peter stood up, too, concern evident in his eyes. But I was a bitch tonight. I refused to answer him.

"May nasabi ba 'kong mali?"

No. No answer from me again.

"Shanni?" Peter's hands reached out to hold my shoulders. So what if I was being melodramatic? People have a right to it sometimes!

"Shanni, please... whatever it is, you can just tell me."

Oh yeah? "What if I say I hate where I stand now and I hate it that you're standing there and I can do nothing?"

Lord, did I just say that? Oh yes. I was so freakin' conscious that I did.

And the shock I myself felt was also evident in Peter's face, and man! Didn't he look gorgeous standing there stunned like that. But I had blurted it all out, yes I did, and I knew I had sunk into an all-time low this time for being such a stupid moron.

I couldn't read what's in his eyes but I couldn't look away, and I knew I was acting like a brazen hussy waiting for his reaction but damn again! I was so sick and tired waiting for Fates to hand Peter over to me on a silver platter, that now I was making the moves. Never mind if the friendship is ruined.

No, not really. I could never ever betray Lily, no matter how treacherous my heart may be.

I sighed. "Go home na."

But Peter was still there, standing emotionless, unfathomable and enigmatic.

"I'm tired na. Let's call it a night." I added.

"I didn't know... I thought I was the only one..." Peter was unable to finish the words.

I groaned at that. He didn't know I was in love with him, that's what he was about to say. I choked down a sob of shame. Maybe I can pull this through with a ' joke, joke lang' and pretend I was only kidding him? But no. He understood what I meant the first time.

Damn that movie!

"Pagod na 'ko talaga, uwian na," I said at last, backing a few steps away from him. Hello? What's going on with you? Why wouldn't you move?

"You're not tired," Peter's know-it-all voice reached my ears.

"I am," I retorted.

"You're being difficult, Shanni." Peter's voice rose a fraction.

"And can't you just leave?" So I could cry in humiliation na?

He shook his head. Opened his mouth, closed it, looked at me again and blurted, "I didn't know you felt that way but that doesn't mean it was unwelcome." He spat the words one by one as my eyes grew round and rounder as the words sink in-also one by one-in my addled brain.

My heart skipped a beat. And like in the books, it pounded furiously, did a somersault, nose dived, and nearly jumped out of my ribs.

"Damn! I can't stop this anymore!" His eyes looked feverish but I was spared having to comment as Peter's arms drew me against him. No, snatched me, more like, until I was pressed like a ham in a sandwich, my breath suspended in my lungs until his mouth claimed mine in a savage kiss, and only then did I sigh in relief.

How girls manage to stand after being kissed like this, I had no idea.