Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

It was a little cheesy, he knew, but people believed it, and he found himself believing it sometimes as well. By the way Anna tried to do everything for him, it was easy to see her saying that she loved him every night when they went to bed, every morning when they ate breakfast , and every day when they raised their children together.

He had been ready for that life so many years ago and was still waiting for it, but he didn't care how long it took because it would happen. Body feeling heavy with the thought that it wouldn't happen right away, Titus found himself sitting down on the very same loveseat, watching as his cattle bathed in the sunlight.

His back accepted the gentle feel of the cushions, his body allowing itself to finally just laze around even though there were still a few things to be done in the house. The floors had to be vacuumed, and some dishes had to be rinsed and washed, but he didn't want to do that now. Now, he just wanted to sit back and enjoy the view he had looked out at all his life.

So he did. Crossing booted feet over one another, Titus reclined back in the seat and laced his fingers behind his head and just let himself enjoy. The soft breeze that blew past, the cool shade that blanketed him, and the smell of manure, silage, and sweat; he reveled in all of it despite the fact that he was missing the one last piece.

As if on cue, Anna came walking out the front door, dressed in nothing more than a pair of jean shorts that revealed just enough pale leg and a loose, flowing white top that left her shoulders bare. She sat down next to him, eyes staring straight ahead, bare ankles crossed just like his.

“So...” she began quietly, a hint of teasing in her tone, “when do I get to open up my Christmas present?”

“The same time I get to open up mine,” he replied.

Anna grinned and arched a ginger brow. “And when would that be, exactly? Sometime today or-”

“Tomorrow morning, obviously. You only ever open up presents on Christmas Day. Everybody knows that.”

“But what if I want you to open it before everybody gets here because it's just that special?”

Trying to remain serious in this very un-serious situation, Titus just turned his head toward her. The action was a mistake, he knew as soon as his eyes scanned that pale, slightly freckled face and landed on her lips. A pale, smooth pink, her natural lips were open, inviting only him.

He couldn't help it; he leaned forward and watched as her eyes widened. It was as if they were suspended in time – with lust and need as his only guide. But, he reminded himself, Anna wanted him. She may not fully admit it yet, but there was a part of her that knew it wanted him.

There was only one problem. He didn't know how she wanted him. By the way she was always looking at him with a blush on her face and how she had literally just latched onto his arm pit at the movie theater on Sunday, he could tell it was definitely a physical want. But a physical want was only natural when two people who had known each other since forever were living in the same house together.

If he was going to do this right, he was going to have to let her make the first move. Even if it meant giving her just a little push, he'd still have her kissing him first and then after that, it – everything – was going to happen. He'd kiss her, touch her, make love to her, and tell her everything. But she had to be the first one.

He ripped his gaze away but not before he congratulated himself on the blush that lay heavily upon her cheeks. “Like the last special present you gave me?”

“You liked it!” She hit his shoulder playfully before clearing her throat, an action that made him throw a mental fist pump into the air. “It has so many uses for everyday things, Titus. Seriously, so many different uses.”