Prologue

Scotland, 1275

The first thing I remember, when I awoke, was the sun streaming into my bedchamber through the stained glass window, causing the room to fill with a rainbow of colors. I had thought it to be a good omen, that the day would be a happy one, but how wrong I was to be.

“Alexandra, are ye up yet?” On hearing my sister’s voice, I quickly jumped from my bed, started to pull on my tunic and braies, then tugging on my boots. Once dressed, I began pulling all of my hair into a bun, so I could easily conceal it under a cap. I just finished, when the door opened to reveal my older sister, Ainsley. “Yer not goin’ dressed like that!” she exclaimed.

I placed my eleven year old hands on my eleven year old hips and stared at her, “And why not! Are we no goin’ on a picnic and playin’ games?”

“We are, but with our guests. Mother will want us lookin’ our best as hosts.”

“Mother is no goin’ to say a word about what I be wearin’, 'tis ye who needs to look her best for yer betrothed and family. Now let us be goin’ before Mother sends those blasted MacTavish boys to fetch us.” And with that I grabbed Ainsley’s hand, as we started to make our way down to the Great Hall to meet everyone, and break our morning fast before we headed out to the clearing for our afternoon picnic and fun.

"But Ronald, can it not wait until this eve, as we have already made plans for the day to include all of us?” I heard mother ask father just as we entered the room.

Before he could answer her, our presence was noticed. We made our way, immediately, to our seats.

“Tis about time the two of you decided to join us,” Father said with a bit of disappointment. He then gave me a stern look and I quickly removed my cap, as it was not polite to wear a hat at the table.

It was clear everyone had been waiting for us before eating, as they were already seated at the large trestle table. Father, of course, was seated at the head, with mother to his right, and then the entire MacTavish family, to father’s left. There was Laird Cullen MacTavish, Lady Elspeth, their oldest son Colin – also known as my sister Ainsley’s betrothed - followed by their second oldest son, Kieron, and then the twins, Evan and Elliott. Kieron was two years older than me and the twins two years younger. We have known and played together since we were babes, which was another reason why, my boyish dress would not surprise any of our guests.

“Tis alright Laird Stewart,” I turned to see Colin speaking to my father, “we must give the ladies more time to ready themselves for the day, if t'will allow them to look as beautiful as they are.”

I turned to my left to see Ainsley blush, as she lowered her head, and a faint smile spread across her face. The whole thing just made my stomach turn, and it was obvious the younger three MacTavish’s agreed with me. They started laughing, and making gagging noises towards their older brother.

“That will be enough boys,” Laird MacTavish announced and the room became silent once more.

Everyone then began to fill their plates with food and eat. That then, allowed my mother to ask her question again to my father, waiting for an answer.

“We men have a few things to finish, and will follow shortly. Go and enjoy this beauty of a day, as there are no' many ta be had, when the colder air starts ta make 'tis presence known inna months time.”

It was a very unseasonably warm October day for us here, in the Scottish Highlands. We are usually the first to feel and see the effects of the fall weather, but not today.

“Fine, we shall go, takin’ the girls and younger boys with us, but be expectin’ the rest of ye to join us within the hour,” Mother added with a smile as she and Father shared a hand squeeze to show both their promise and affection for one another when others were present.