The Hunter - Chapter Eight

Start from the beginning

"Why?"

"A few bad apples gave us all a bad name." She sighed.

"So what does that mean?" he asked.

"We're going to die, Derek."

"Wow."

"I don't want to die," she sobbed into his chest.

I am such an asshole.

I sat back against the tree trunk and hugged my knees. Even Chloe and Derek were scared of the hunter's. Scared of me. The tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't stand it. I couldn't let them die. I have to keep the Guild away from here.

"They aren't monsters."

"Quit sneaking up on me, Blake."

"You can't hold a grudge because of the past, Alyssa."

"What am I supposed to do? I'm expected to eradicate the nest."

"You mean murder a bunch of innocent teenagers."

"I'm sure not all of them are seventeen." I arched my eyebrows at him.

"Perhaps not but this place is a safe haven for us. It can be for you too. Even for your parents. You don't have to do this," he said, quietly leaping on the branch I sat on.

"I've never disobeyed the Guild before."

"What's the worst they could do?"

"Kill us."

"What?"

"The last family to disobey orders was executed mercilessly. It was so horrible." I closed my eyes trying not to remember the tormented screams of the Mercurrio's. Their son had fallen in love with a witch and refused to burn her at the stake. So he was forced to watch as the guild did the job then they did the same to the entire family. All hunters were required to attend the very public execution. Public to our private community.

A hunter never disobeyed the Guild again.

"I can't risk the lives of my entire family."

"I didn't know."

"I can't risk their lives either." I motioned to Derek and Herades.

"You're not going to kill them?" he asked.

"How can I? After that speech you gave me earlier. Come on, Blake. I'm not a cold hearted murderer."

"I know you're not."

"What do I do, Blake?"

"I don't know." He put his arm around my shoulder and we sat there staring up at the moon.

I closed my eyes and rested my head against his shoulder. After a few hours I permitted myself a quick glance in his direction. He was always so tense and serious. I had this overpowering sense to touch him.

"Alyssa."

"Yes, Blake?"

"I never forgot you."

"What?"

"All those years ago, when you left town, I never forgot about you."

"You didn't?"

"Not for a moment," he said, pulling the ski mask off of my head.

"A day didn't go by that I didn't think about you."

"You've been the one constant in my life since my conception, Alyssa."

"I've been the one thing in your life trying to kill you," I said.

"Not anymore you aren't."

He reached up tracing his cold fingers along the side of my face.

"Blake..."

"Shh," he said, tilting my head as his lips brushed against mine.

"This is the most forbidden of things. If anyone were to find out, I can't imagine what would happen."

"Then for now nobody finds out."

He placed his hands on the small of my back and pulled me in close. The gap between our lips was nonexistent. We lingered there for a few immortal moments. Eyes somewhere between half-open and daydreaming. When he broke the kiss, Blake raised my hands to his lips and kissed the backs of my hands before gazing into my eyes.

"Alyssa, after all these centuries, us being a couple of immortals, I have to tell you something."

"What, Blake?"

"I love you."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, throwing caution to the wind and not caring about what the Guild would have to say about the most forbidden of loves.