How My Brother Leon, Brought Home A Wife (A Continuation)

Author's Note:
▪ This is a self-made continuation of a literary piece of the same title written by Manuel Arguelles. Originally sumbitted as a requirement for my Philippine Literature class way back during college.
▪ Also posted as an entry on my blogspot account.

Happy reading! 😊

It is time you watered him, my son,” I heard Father said to my brother Baldo when Maria and I entered his room. It is dark inside. The only thing that seemed to light the whole room is the moon that peered outside the window. Even that small light coming from the tobacco that lay on the windowsill is noticeable in the darkness.

My brother didn’t say anything but obeyed immediately to what he has been told. Before actually exiting the room I saw his eyes fell on Maria again. I know that my brother has already been mesmerized and captivated by her beauty the moment he laid his eyes upon her and this is no surprise to me. I know from the very beginning that he will like her immediately. Just like how my mother and my sister Aurelia did.

Maria’s right hand tightened its grip to mine’s. I know that she is nervous. I can feel the tension radiating from her ever since she rides on Labang’s cart in our trip earlier. But of course, just like the woman she is, Maria never fails me. I hold on to her hand as firmly as I could as an assured response.

“Hello Father.” I said gently. Father’s gaze that had been lingering to the door where my brother exited fell directly into mine. For a brief moment, I remembered those times when I, Baldo and Father cut the hays at night as we sang.

He didn’t say anything. He just stared at me unblinkingly. And then after a short while his eyes fell on Maria. I could feel Maria stiffen slightly beside me. I squeezed her hand under mine’s and thus, she seemed to relax a bit. Beside me, I heard her sigh softly.

Father slowly walks into us with the help of his cane. I can see that doing so is a laborious task for him but I didn’t try to offer any assistance. I know Father wouldn’t want me to.

He stopped a few steps from us. His gaze never left Maria. Now that he is near I can see his eyes clearly. With that, my lips curved into a small smile instantly.

“How are you Father?” I asked. He just nodded, still never leaving his gaze from Maria. While I, even for a moment, never leave mine’s to him. I unclasped my hand with Maria’s and put it around her waist.

“Father I want you to meet Maria, my wife.” I said. My small smile a while ago broadens. I look briefly to her beautiful face and saw a warm smile hover her lips. Our eyes met for an instant and then I held my gaze back to my father. My smile lingers.

“I am very pleased to meet you.” All she said. I can hear uncertainty and nervousness in her words behind her lovely smile.

Father didn’t say anything in reply. He just look intensely into the both of us. I tightened my arm round Maria’s waist and waited for him to speak. Until finally I heard his soft sigh, and ever so slowly, watched as his wrinkled lip curved into a small smile. Maria looked at me and I can see that she knew. Her eyes shone with love and joy that mirrored my own.

Father continued to walk laboriously with his cane, now aiming for the door. Maria and I stay where we stood. As he passes towards us, he gently touched my right shoulder and said “Welcome home.”