~Chapter Twenty-Four~

Börja om från början

I watched them go before turning back to the others, "Where is he taking her?"

The girl next to me frowned, "Nowhere you wanna be."

"She never came back." Sam stared at me as I looked at my hands, "I thought I saw her body in The Room once, but I couldn't be sure."

"The Room?"

I nodded, "That's where he used to take us for his...experiments." Sam squeezed my hand and I smiled for a brief moment before frowning, "The first time I ever went there..."

I fell to the stone floor. Erebus hovered above me, smirk present on his face, "Isn't this an exciting day? You're first time." He chuckled and I tried to crawl away from him, but he slammed his boot down on my leg, digging his heel in as hard as he could. I whimpered, which only prompted him to step down on me harder, "It's important that you feel as much pain as possible today. That will help it take." I couldn't even begin to fathom what he meant by that and I was truly afraid. More afraid than I had been when I felt the icy grip of death around my throat and more afraid than when I realized that my eyes truly were red. Erebus pulled a long knife from a nearby table and held it tightly, "Let's get started, shall we?"

"Why was it important that you feel pain?"

I looked up at Sam, "I think the pain was for his own pleasure, but we needed to be injured and weak so that the blood would take to our systems better. Erebus would use faerie magick to enchant the blood from other supernatural creatures so that any powers in the blood would surface and bind to our bodies. Vampires need blood to survive. When we're seriously injured, which takes a lot," I looked down and sighed, "the blood you drink has to work harder to heal you, so it binds to whatever is in your system to make you stronger. And the residual powers bind to your system too, so you can use them."

Sam nodded, "Okay, I get it. I think."

"My heightened sense of smell and hearing comes from the werewolf blood that I've consumed in Erebus' experiments." I held my hand up and flicked my wrist, so that my nails grew sharper and longer, "Claws, also from werewolf blood." Sam nodded and I went on, "Inclination to magick, faerie blood." I half-heartedly struck a model pose, "Glowing beauty..." Sam chuckled. "Succubus." I relaxed and frowned, "And then there's all my vampire stuff from when Erebus killed me."

Sam took my hand in his, "So what happened next?" I looked up at him and he smiled at me, "After all the experiments and everything. How did you get out? How did you find this place?" He gestured around us at the living room.

I sighed, "One day Erebus brought a new girl down to the empty cell next to mine."

"Wait, empty cell? What happened to the girl that was in there?"

I stared ahead at the wall, "The blood wasn't agreeing in her and so she ripped herself apart." I looked back at Sam, "Literally."

Sam squeezed my hand, "Scarlett, I'm sorry."

Shaking my head, I squeezed his hand back, "It's okay. After that I wasn't afraid of Erebus anymore. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to rip him to pieces, so that he looked just like her. So that he would scream in pain and terror just like her. He was never going to stop. He was going to keep murdering innocent girls and experimenting on them until they ended up either destroying themselves or ripping innocent people apart. I had to stop him." I sighed again, "He brought another girl down the stairs..."

A thud caught my attention as something was thrown down the steps and landed in a heap on the floor. I was alone in the hall now. All the other cages were empty and the smell of blood overpowered anything else. I stared at the girl who was lying on the floor, not daring to move. I knew she was awake because I could hear her whimpering. Erebus followed her shortly after, dragging her into a cell by her auburn hair. She cried out when he threw her to the ground and then glided out of the cell, locking the door behind him. He smirked over at me before making his way back up the steps and out sight. I looked over at the girl, her curls already matted and dirty. She curled up in a ball and just laid there for what was probably hours before she turned to me, "Where am I?"