The Horns of a Dilemma

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what are you talking about?" 

"He's talking about that blasted dragon that lives in that mountain behind you." A man from behind Martin spoke up with a loud voice. 

"Well then what has the dragon done?" I ask calmly. 

That simple question seemed to get Martin worked up and he started to say. "Ever since those dragons showed up a year ago we have had many times where those overgrown lizards have roared and scared everything in hearing range into thinking that they were under attack. We couldn't go outside for fear of our lives those days. And all of the herders have come out in the morning to find sheep, goats, and even sometimes cattle dead and half-eaten in the corrals. We need that beast dead, Alan, before it gets tired of eating animals and decides to dine on us!" 

I couldn't help agreeing with him about the dragons scaring the living day-lights out of everyone but something he said was bothering me. So I asked. "Did you say half-eaten?"  

Martin's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion after I said that and he said. "Aye, I did. Why do you ask?" 

"Don't the legends about dragons say they're supposed to be the size of a large cottage right?" 

He frowned, even more confused now, and said. "That they are. But what does that have to do with this?" 

"If dragons are so big then why would they only eat half a sheep? Shouldn't they be able to eat a sheep whole at the very least? And even though my flock is closest to the dragon's mountain I haven't lost a single sheep." 

Martin opened and closed his mouth a few times before finding something to say. "If it's not the dragons then what's killing our livestock?!" 

"Well I think it could be wolves. I have heard a few howls coming from the south at night every once in a while." I calmly replied. 

"Even though it may not be the dragons eating our livestock I still say we should go and get rid of them! They have terrified us for too long! Let's go!" He yelled while starting to walk, sweeping his arm towards the mountain. 

I couldn't let these men, my friends, die a fool's death. I ran in front of Martin and yelled so all the men could hear. "Hold! What do you expect to do when you get there!? Try to scare it away? It's a creature bigger than a house that breathes fire. What do you think a handful of farmers and sheep herders can do when the tales say it takes a small army of the king's best men to be rid of one dragon?" 

My words stopped everyone in their tracks. The men glanced at each other, looking a little scared, as if they had just realized how impossible this task would be. Martin spoke up after a moment of silence to say in a voice that was almost a whine. "But what do we do about all that roaring they do?" 

I couldn't help the thought that the fumes from the forge have messed with Martin's head. I felt a little of that feeling escape into my tone when I said. "Do you not hear yourself Martin? You sound like a child that was refused a sweet." Martin got angry at that and opened his mouth to speak but I held up my hand and said. "Just stop and listen. You can't do anything about them roaring anymore than you can stop the rumors of the neighboring countries going to war. And yes the dragons make a lot of noise but they have done nothing but just make noise. Lastly, think about what would happen to your family if you went through with this. How would Bridget be able to take care of your son if you died?" Through the whole thing Martin went from angry to thoughtful to ashamed. 

After a moment he turned to the people he lead here and said. "Let's head home." And with that he started walking south towards the village with the men silently following behind.