That got through. That had Ray stopping still; he heard a voice and needed to hear it again. “Think of your mate.” Were the words, repeated. Of course in his mind Tendra flashed before him. She was without his protection at this very minute and he needed to finish up here and ensure his female Alpha was still safe and secure. He had her protection to sort out, her own personal guard to assign.

                As little by little his human thought came back to him his mate was not the only one he thought about. This forest needed specific guarding and careful attention. Protection for his pack was now to be upped a level – or two. He had multiple ideas of who had hurt his brother; it could be one of his pack, it could be a neighbouring pack, it could even be the Sanguis pack, and with every suspect came specific plans though he had an idea while plan he was going to put forth first. He had to put these plans in place to ensure the survival of his pack. Of his family. When the term family replaced that of pack he knew himself to be in his own mind again. To be human and he transformed as quickly as he could so as to make sure he kept that logic.

“Ashton’s body whether dead or alive will be found and brought back to us. For now I want detailed explanations for what protection you have started and first of all I want to see my mate.”

                Turner nodded and barked a few orders out to the four stood waiting. They nodded in agreement and let past their Alpha, who still looked far too animal like to them. His brows were still hairier than normal, the hair on his head longer than usual. In time as he calmed down it would return back to normal but until then, he looked angry and fierce. They let him past easily, not wanting to be within reach of him.

Tendra was trying to make tea while Nancy paced restlessly and cried loudly. The kettle boiled and for the shock Tendra had added three sugars into Nancy’s tea. She herself only took one.

“Nancy, come sit down. Until we know, until Ray comes back then there is nothing we can do.”

“My Ashton is gone. He’s everything to me.”

“Come sit down Nancy.” But Nancy didn’t. She continued to pace and her eyes were glazed over, as though she wasn’t quite seeing the world around her. At last Tendra became silent; she had no comfort for the woman. She didn’t know what to say or how to act. Her life, as hard as it had been, she had never been in a position that required her to comfort anyone other than Tim.

                Tim who had been sat quietly looked up when Tendra went quiet and he put down his little cup. Looking towards Nancy he, as young as he was, didn’t want her to cry. Tendra was his big sister; he knew that even if Tendra had been a mother to him, he was aware she was his big sister. And he loved her dearly but in Nancy he found a mother. One he had longed for. One who he saw potential in, not just for himself but for Tendra as well. He had been pleased when Tendra ate with him that morning, when she was welcomed as readily as he had been and now looking at that very woman who had welcomed and fed them and who he wanted to be around a little more, he too was sad to see her so upset.

                He eluded Tendra’s arms as she tried to stop him and instead put down his cup and walked over to Nancy. He studied her for a little minute until she noticed him watching her and stopped her pacing.