Chapter One: Background

Hola gente, I'm Sam's Song, and this is my new book! (obviously 0-0) 

I'll keep the author's note that everyone skips over really short today.

Chapter Song: Life Itself from Glass Animals

You're welcome! 

*cheeky smile*

~

Exerpt:

"Pumpkin," I whispered, leaning my head close to her large horse ear, "Run. Run, Pumpkin, Run."

Pumpkin looked at me and I frowned. She knew that command. She should leave, I knew she should leave. Heck, even she knew she should leave. Her eyes were wide and her ears flicked back and forth, a useless attempt to locate the sounds of the nearing soldiers.

Both she and I lay on the ground, completely still except for her still twitching ears. I lifted my hand slowly, placing it in between her ears and look her in the eye. "Shh, Pumpkin. It's okay. Run." I try to sooth her and command her to leave at the same time. Although it was only a couple enemy soldiers, I was outnumbered. I was unarmed, alone except for my horse, and in enemy territory, probably being surrounded at this very second. If Pumpkin was going to make it out alive, she needed to go now.

Out of the two of us, she was obviously faster, so she would have a better chance of getting away. She was also a bigger target, but she was better rested and less dehydrated that I.

It would be better if at least she could survive instead of both of us dying.

Obviously. That was obvious, right?

Pumpkin didn't think so.

~

POV: Kylie Setter, Lily's mom

"Lil, you know we love you, but you've really gotta' move on.  Go back to school, get a good job.  Then you can get an apartment of your own, don't you think?"

I watched my only daughter, already nineteen years old, groan.  I had stepped out of my office for s second to grab an apple from the kitchen, and realized that Al was having the same conversation with Lily he'd been having for months: It's time to be alive again.

Ever since she returned from the Army about a year ago, she'd never been the same.  We knew she'd be different; they'd said she'd been shot a couple times and had one damaged lung by the time they found her.  She was blacked out when they first saw her, collapsed from grief, fear, and pain.  On top of her, with multiple bullet wounds, was a dead, light orange-brown colored horse. 

They said it was likely that she had been riding the horse in hopes she could out run her attackers when her horse got shot.  Not able to run any longer, the horse tripped, and Lily fell.  The horse landed on top of her, damaging her left lung, and it was extremely lucky that the animal didn't completely crush her.

That's what they guessed, and chances are, they were right.

Lily was rushed to the hospital, and the doctors said that she would make an almost full recovery, except for one thing.

Her memory of the last year was gone, completely wiped from existence.  There was a chance she could get it back, but if that was even the case, it would take years.  Chances are, what Lily experienced was extremely gruesome, and she wouldn't want the memories back anyways.

~

POV: Lily Setter

I couldn't believe my dad was asking me to leave again.  Was I really that much of a burden to have around? 

"Dad, I'm happy here, I don't want to go back to school.  What's the point if I've already got what I want?  I'm earning money too, I can start paying for things."

My dad sighed, sitting down next to me on the couch.  I could see my mom in the hallway.  She was just standing there, deep in thought.  I knew she was probably daydreaming, and I cracked a small smile.

I looked back at my dad.  "Lily.  Why don't you go do something you enjoy?  Go stop by the pool or something."

I thought about it.  

"Okay, I'll go out.  This doesn't mean I'm leaving permanently though." 

My dad nodded and smiled. 

I got up, grabbed my wallet, and shoved into the back pocket of my jeans before heading out.

~

Ten laps of freestyle, eight of breaststroke, and five of butterfly later, I was ready to get out.  I remembered one of my friends from high school used to call me a human fish.  It was funny until we looked it up and realized that a Human-Fish was actually an underwater lizard that lived in the dark, had pale skin, and no eyes.  I was creeped out, but that didn't stop people from calling me that. 

I remembered high school.  Now that I was done, it didn't seem so bad.  I had friends, but I couldn't remember what happened to them.  I never moved, so I guess they must've.  It had been a couple years since I last saw them, and although we seemed close at the time, we kinda' lost touch after a while.

I stepped into the shower cubicle in the locker rooms and rinsed my hair before pulling out a bottle of shampoo.  I kept my suit on so the chlorine could wash out of it. 

My best friend was a girl named Maria.

~

Because I figured my parents didn't want me back home yet, I French-braided my hair down the back and headed out to the shopping center. 

I plugged my ear-buds into my phone and hit play.  This was my number one technique to avoid talking to people I really don't want to talk to.  Wait, What'd you say?  I'm listening to music, see.  Oh, would you look at that.  I've gotta go, see you 'round!  

Pushing the shopping cart, I grabbed a bag of apples, some pop tarts, and a carton of grapefruit juice.  

I really hate shopping, and because my parents weren't here, I had to pay.  Although, I did offer to start paying for more back at home. 

Yeah, I'll just get the grapefruit juice and the pop tarts. 

I only had two items, so I headed to self check-out and was out of the store a couple minutes later.   

~

Hi again, this is the first chapter!  I've got the first half of the story planned out, and all I have to do is write it, so I'm really excited.  This chapter seemed a bit choppy, but I'm not sure how to fix that.  Ah well.

It's Saturday!!!  I get to ride today! <3 Best day of the week, by a million billion.

Sorry for any mistakes, feel free to point them out!  >_<

THANKS so much for reading!  It means a ton to me. <3

Vote

Comment

Keep reading!!  >_<  heh.

Word count: 1100

Written: 9/23/16

~Sam's Song