10:20 p.m - same day

Once they all settled down after wishing Rudy good luck, they started planning for the upcoming weekend. "So, about that trek. What were you saying again?" Ankit asked, looking at Atisha. "That the Rastogi forests are amazing and that we should go there sometime, preferably next weekend. And I already found us a trail so here's the complete plan. I'm going on an official trip on Thursday next week and will be coming back only on Saturday morning. So why don't you guys go and wait at the north-west end for me at, say, 8 a.m and I'll join you there?" Atisha replied.

The other four looked at Atisha, dumbfounded. "What?" Atisha demanded. Then Diana cracked up and Ankit started shaking his head with a smile on his face. "What?" Atisha asked them again. Diana replied, "I thought we would start planning now. But somebody had a different idea..." She said, looking at Atisha. "I can't help it! I'm excited, okay?" Atisha replied, defending herself.

"Well, all said and done, that is actually a good plan. What do you guys say?" Ankit said, looking at the others.

"I'm good with it." Prithvi said. "And we'll second that." Diana and Rudy said together.

"Okay then, that's our plan for next week. Anything else?" Atisha asked.

"Yep." Rudy replied. "What is it now?" Atisha asked, exasperated.

"Oh, nothing, it's just that you forgot about my birthday which is on next Wednesday." He said, glaring at his friends. "Oh, right, that. Uh, not very important, is it now?" Diana said, grinning at him. "Thanks. And I call you my friend." Rudy muttered to himself.

"Okay guys, I should probably get going. It's late, and I don't want Ankit to drive out late after dropping me." Prithvi said, getting up. "Don't sleep over at her place Ankit, I'll come to know!" Diana said cheekily. "Oh shut up already! We aren't at that stage yet." Ankit said, glaring at Diana while Prithvi turned red. The others cracked up. "Don't I love teasing you two!" Diana said, laughing. "I think it's time I leave. You, Diana, are the reason my self-respect decreases day by day." Ankit said.

"I'm honored." Diana said, snorting.

"Guys, shut up! And get out of my apartment. Like Prithvi said, it's late, and I'm not giving up my sleep for anybody, friends or not." Atisha said.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you treat your friends!" Diana said, still laughing as she walked out the door with Rudy behind her. "You're drunk." Atisha muttered.

* * *

6:30 a.m - 4/8/11

Diana woke up to birds chirping and the sun rays streaming in through her window. She smiled to herself. "Trek day, baby!" She said, rubbing her hands to keep them warm. She got up and spotted her bike keys and rucksack and smiled even more. "This is going to be so much fun!"

Half an hour later, she was dressed in denim shorts and a tank top. she took out a leather jacket, just in case the weather turned cold. she didn't mind the cold on her legs, but her arms were a different story.

She picked up her bike keys and went down. Five minutes later, she was off.

* * *

7:55 a.m - same day

Diana reached the north-west end, just like they had planned the weekend before. She reached the gate that led into the forest and saw Prithvi and Ankit already waiting. As Diana walked towards them, she heard another bike and turned around to see Rudy stop next to her bike. "Is Atisha here yet?" Diana asked them. They just shrugged. "Oh well, she'll be here soon."

Twenty minutes later, and Atisha still hadn't come. Ankit and Diana, out of boredom, were scouring the perimeter when Ankit spotted something. "Hey guys, isn't this Atisha's scarf?" He said, picking up a long piece of cloth. "Yes, that is. How did that land up here?" Diana asked looking confused. Then it dawned on her. "Do you think she's already inside?" She asked.
"Probably. Want to go check?" Ankit asked.

Ten minutes passed and they were all inside the forest. Rudy had found a trail and figured that was probably the trail that Atisha was talking about. They were now deep inside, occasionally calling out Atisha's name. And sometimes, of course, calling her other names. And at regular intervals, of course, taking pictures.

Ankit was leading, followed by Diana, then Rudy and finally Prithvi. Suddenly Prithvi stopped walking. "Hurry up, what are you waiting for?" Diana asked her. Prithvi shook her head, as though trying to clear it. "No, it's nothing. It's just... what's that weird smell?" She said, sniffing. Diana rolled her eyes and Rudy just looked on. "It's a forest, Prithvi. Probably some animal's poop." He said. Prithvi gave her a sheepish smile.

The smell grew stronger as they delved deeper into the forest. Suddenly something snapped and Prithvi screamed. "What is it now? Killed an insect?" Diana huffed.

Prithvi didn't say anything, instead she pointed down. The others looked down near her foot and gasped.

She had stepped on a dead body.

I know, that is a very short chapter but that's where I wanted to stop the chapter, so that, well, you know... for suspense. I think that was pretty obvious.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you guys that this is where the plot starts developing; this is where it all begins... so keep up with the book, and I'll give you some good stuff. And if you love this book (at least, whatever I've written till now), then please vote and spread the word. And tell me what you think about the story. And until next time,

Yours truly,

Sammy