The Hunter - Chapter Five

ابدأ من البداية

"Why wouldn't they?"

"Because they're not stupid. They're not trying to draw attention to themselves. One vampire is hunting per night. Since one already hunted tonight another won't hunt until tomorrow."

"How did you come to that deduction?" Mother asked.

"I suppose it just came to me," I mumbled.

"Why are you going through your clothes?" She furrowed her brow as she sipped her tea.

"I'm going to be bait tomorrow."

"Bait?"

"Yes," I replied, pulling out a hunter green gown with pink, silk roses on it. "Do you think this would make me seem delicate and vulnerable?" I asked, holding the dress in font of myself while standing in front of a mirror.

"Yes. Why are you dressing as bait?" Mom put her tea cup down and stood behind me, her hands on her hips, tapping her toe.

"I'm going to lure them out," I mumbled.

"Lure them out?"

"Yes." I put the green dress back and produced a red, satin one with black velvet trim. "What about this one?"

"The green one is better. It brings out your eyes." She sat at the table in the center of my room and watched as I took the green gown back out. "It could work. It's not a bad idea at all. I've never tried it before. I've never thought of it before."

"I want to be rid of them, Mother."

"I know, Alyssa."

"Tomorrow night when I go out, I'll be bait."

"All right."

"Green then?"

"Green with the tall black boots that have that silver buttons. I like those."

"Thank you, Mother."

"You're welcome, sweetheart. I love you."

"I love, you, too. Good night. Get some rest."

*******

"Be safe."

"I will, Father."

"Take the dagger."

"It's in my garter."

"Will you be able to access it quickly?" Mother asked.

"Yes. I have a backup stake in the other just in case."

"Are you expecting the entire coven?"

"I don't know. It's always better to be safe than sorry, right?"

"Of course, dear."

"I'll see you in the morning." I turned and walked out the door.

I pulled my wool cloak tight around my body and hurried to the center of town. I tried to think like a victim. Where would they go?

"It's dangerous being out so late."

"Blake! If I were anyone else I'd think you were stalking me."

"Keeping an eye out for you."

"I'm taking your advice. I'm using myself as bait."

"You're wrapped up in a giant, wool cloak," he said, observing my wardrobe.

"I'm cold. I do have a more appealing dress on underneath," I replied, releasing the cape. The pink roses shimmered underneath the lamppost.

"You're so pale."