Chapter 6: Back in the Game

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I swear the Joker will pay. I'll exterminate that vermin from this earth. I swear!"

Tim's point of view

I was half asleep and disoriented when Jason woke me up with all of his stirring and carrying on. He was violently tossing and turning sobbing quietly with an expression of utter terror on his face. He was obviously having a nightmare. His breaths were long and deep. He was completely drenched in sweat. Immediately I shook him in an attempt to wake him. After multiple efforts he finally opened his tear filled eyes. This was the first time I had ever seen Jason cry. It was a bit heartbreaking. Right after he woke up he instinctively grabbed my upper arm, causing me to let out a small whimper. His hands were much bigger than mine. His grip was tight. Jason was scaring me.

"Jason, it was just a nightmare! Everything's okay, breathe!" I assured him, scared Jason was having a panic attack. He was still struggling to breathe steadily. My words took effect seconds later. He let go of my arm and wiped the tears from his eyes. I knew he didn't want me to see him cry. Jason was too macho for that. His breathing began to slow and he calmed down. What could he have dreamed about? Whatever it was, it had to have been excruciatingly painful for him. His blood pressure and heart rate had to be through the roof. He turned and sat on the edge of the bed. I placed my hand on his left shoulder, trying to comfort him the only way I knew how.

"Are you alright?" I asked, still a tad afraid. My arm was throbbing from where he had grabbed me. It would probably bruise. I don't blame him, though. It wasn't his fault. Everyone in the bat family had nightmares. I was no exception.

"Yeah, I'm okay, kid. What about you? I'm sorry I grabbed your arm. I swear I didn't mean to." He said, still shaken up.

"I'm okay. What was it about? Your nightmare, I mean." I asked skittishly. Dick used to tell me all about his nightmares. They would get pretty bad.

"I-uh..don't want to talk about it." Jason said, getting up from the bed and heading to the bathroom to get cleaned up. I couldn't help but wonder what it could have been about. I usually forget my dreams moments after I awaken, but not the nightmares. I wonder if Jason was the same way. It is most depressing to forget the good and be forced to remember the bad. That is, if there are any pleasant dreams to speak of. They rarely find me anymore. If I dream at all, they are usually nightmares. I suspect that is the case with Jason as well. I sighed deeply. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried about Jason. I just sat there on the edge of the bed waiting for him to come back. It is a good thing that I didn't hold my breath. He was in the bathroom for nearly half an hour. If he thinks that I am just going to go back to bed and ignore what just happened, he is sadly mistaken.

"Jason." I said when he finally did return. I found myself at a loss for words. I felt so sorry for Jason. No one should have to suffer the pain and sorrow that he has had to endure. This man has literally died. Of course, he would have night terrors and occasional panic attacks. It is completely understandable that he wouldn't want to talk about his nightmares. Talking about them may make Jason think himself weak. This is obviously not true. Maybe, if he were to talk about them then he would come to terms with his issues. Perhaps then they wouldn't occur as often. Dick and I used to discuss our nightmares and it helped me.

"Listen, Tim." Jason started to say, standing right in front of me as I sat on the edge of the bed. My head only came up to his chest so I had to look up into his eyes. They looked serious and gave of an air of despair. Then Jason bent down slightly and pulled me into a tight embrace. My chin rested on his shoulder. It happened to suddenly that I wasn't sure how to react.

"I will always be there to protect you. I swear." He said into my ear. His deep voice took my breath away. My arms slowly made their way to his back. Why was he saying this? I already knew that he would protect me. I would do the same for him, but why tell me like this? This had to have something to do with his nightmare. Maybe, something happened to me in the dream. After a few minutes Jason took a sleeping pill and we went back to bed.