Willkommen Zuhause

He punched the horn in a panic, slamming his foot on the brakes as a deer smashed into his windshield.
///
Joe opened an eye, dizzy as he sat up and brushed glass off his lap.
What happened?
The young medical intern unbuckled and stepped out of his vehicle. It was absolutely ruined! The front was totaled right into a tree and hoof prints of a deer trailed off into the forest. He gave a heavy sigh, it wasn't gonna moving, not like this.
All he could do is try to call for help but of course there was no signal- he'd be walking from now.
///
Night fell and all he could think was; this was supposed to be a shortcut? Soon after his legs became sore and his feet began to ache in his now scuffed and dirty dress shoes. He gave a miserable groan into the woods and only a owl cried back over head.
However, as luck seemed to be nonexistent he spotted a singular light peaking from the grove, through the thickness of the forest he saw it, the beacon of hope, he, moth to flame. He rolled up his pant legs and dashed through the woods, hoping that there'd be a phone inside.
As he dashed through, the forest crept in on the man, eyes of petrified prey watched him run.
Joe gave a heave and caught his breath before ascending the door steps to the front of the home. A note was stuck inside the glass of the cabin's breezeway.
Use the backdoor please.
"You're kidding?" The porch light was on, much more welcoming than the dark back way. He was desperate though, climbing back down the steps and following the path of matted grass to the back of the cabin. He examined the door suspiciously and tried to decide if it was worth the trouble.
It would be worth the trouble.
Joe knocked twice, it was ten o'clock and he felt bad if he were disturbing the owners- he had no choice.

As a good four minutes pass Joe stands there stubbornly, inspecting the window. He saw a figure shift and the door opened, to his surprise a sturdy gentleman stood in the door way. He looked down on Joe with a frown.
In a low growl he asks. "Hallo?"
"Ah- Hi, I'm sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you had a phone I could use to make a call?"
The man studies Joe before speaking up, "Vhat'z vrong vith ze device in your hand young mann?"
"Nothing, I'm just getting no reception out here." Joe noted the accent.
The older man gave a smile. "I'm sorry to inform you but an intruder haz cut my family's phone cord and ve can no longer make callz eizher."
Joe ran his tongue over his teeth nervously. "Can I possibly stay a night then?"

"Of courze, I couldn't pozzibly turn you out into the night."
Joe smiles, entering as the tall man stepped out of the way.
The intern walked slow, the boards seems weak but once the door closed the strange German man crossed the living room with confident ease. "Come along, you must be tired. My name iz Simon Vilde, und you?"
"J-Joe Crowley." He looked up at the stranger in awe as they stood now in the old fashioned kitchen, a dim blue light flickered above the sink, softly highlighting up the German's strong, sharp facial features.
Their silent moment didn't last long however, a child, about eight peaked from the stairwell. "Papa who is that?"
She looked nothing like Simon, features round and soft, just a small girl clutching a bear to her chest. She hopped the last step, nightdress sweeping the floor as she entered the kitchen and looking up at the stranger in the family kitchen. "Has he come from the road?"
Simon nods. "Ve get a few from ze road, lost at zis time. Vake your mama and tell her to show ze mann to ze guezt room." He replied in a rough voice, little girl running back upstairs.
"I could sleep on the couch, no need to fuss over me." The intern meekly blurted.
Simon eyed him then laughed. "Nonsense! A guezt is important. You should alvays treat a guezt vith respect!" He clasped the lad on the shoulder. A few seconds passed with Simon's hard grip on him until a thin looking lady came down and greeted Joe with a sweet smile.
Simon's hand released.
"Hello sweetheart!"
Joe smiled softly and gave a curt nod,
"I'm Joe."
She grasps and shakes his hand, she forwardly leads him to the guest room then and as he glances back he sees Simon with a grin.

He can't help but give a shaky but content sigh as he lays his head on the pillow, warmth engulfs him and the woman softly laughs. "Have a goodnight."
Joe tried to respond but found nothing. Instead she left him be and all that surrounded him was darkness and silence.
Sleep didn't find him easy but when it did he was uncomfortable. In his dreams he felt eyes boring into his skin. This wasn't good, why did he stop here? Why did he agree to stay?

"Vake up, you have slept all day!"
He blinked, looking up into bright blue eyes, the light nearly blinding. "Mein Gott you look terrible. No offenze."
Joe sat up, a sudden ache in his back and shoulders. He felt a horrible burden settle upon him and felt weak, sick. "I'm sorry... I should have been out of your hair hours ago..." He murmured as he looked at the clock; Seven PM, too late to go walking. He frowned and swung his legs over the bed, stealing a glance at Simon.
The neat-cut blonde wore small, thin circular reading glasses. He looked down at Joe almost... disapprovingly. "It's alright, you can have dinner vith us, stay another night hm? You're obviouzly too zick to be on your own."
Joe spoke with hesitance. "I can't possibly trouble you..."
"No vorries."

Dinner was a quiet one with soft chatter. He was introduced, Maria the daughter, their older son; Ryan.
And Lynn, their mother.
They looked like a strange mix in the light, old styled clothes and... The children must be adopted since neither shared Simon's blonde hair or Lynn's brown hair. The young girl had very long black hair and Ryan was kind off out of it, messy red locks. He was about fourteen, he appeared almost bothered?
Joe sparked conversation besides the fact his throat hurt. "How did you two meet?" His eyes exchanged between Simon and Lynn.
Simon brightened, "I met Lynn at a carnival, I vas playing ze strongman to strike ze bell, I von of courze! But sadly I had no pretty frau to give zis giant bear too~ Und zen I saw her, ze voman of my dreamz, sweet Lynn." He laughs. "Ze first time she didn't vant ze bear, too big, she vouldn't pozzibly be able to carry it all day. I zen offered to carry it for her, ve'd ride rides togezer vith ze ridiculous bear between us." He grinned and Lynn blushed, smiling politely.
"He insisted."
Joe smiles, "That's adorable. Say, I left somethings in my car and wondered if you could walk me to it to fetch them?" He glanced at Simon.
"Mhm, vhy not?" He stood to grab his coat.

///

Off down the trail they walked, the sun was setting and Joe only heard the crunch of twigs and leaves under the German's boots and his own shoes. They were quiet until Simon grew tired of silence. "You've come from ze city ja? Long vay for a young mann like you."
Joe shuddered as not only did the cold but the German's heavy accent traveled down his spine, making him stand straighter.
"Y-Yes, very long way..." He mumbles, rubbing his arm. It itched terribly. "I feel so awful... everything aches."
He suddenly felt a weight around him and looked surprised to find the dark, thick coat around his shoulders, leaving the German in a thin white button up.
A blush spread across Joe's cheeks.
"Ve don't need you getting sicker."
Maybe he wanted to get sicker

The car was lonely, like it was in a photograph. Frost had formed at the edges of glass now, it has started a light frosting minutes ago and chill ran through each sharp gust of wind. Joe thought it must be awful for Simon to be lacking a coat and dug through his trunk for something to replace with Simon's coat, it was too heavy for him anyhow.
He then felt a body press up behind him, one arm wrapped across his chest. Something sharp slid into his skin and he saw double as his world felt as if it tipped to the right. He steadied himself by grabbing onto the car an a hot breath ghosted against his neck; he heard the German's thick voice in his ear, "Gute Nacht."

His eyes slid closed.