Chapter 1; The New Huntress

✘ Evelyn's POV
✘ Song for chapter: Castle - Halsey
————————————————

Gotham. 11:29 p.m.

I was currently standing on top of the roof to some old building that had long been deserted, much like many other buildings in Gotham. The night seemed peaceful, until I heard screams in the distance— my cue.

My dark purple cape floated in the wind and I closed my eyes before stepping over to the end and pushing off, heading towards the ground. Before my body could collide with the ground I grabbed my grappling hook, and aimed it a building that pointed North. Man I love this life! It was probably unhealthy for me to be jumping off of buildings every night before fighting thugs, but- what the heck?

——

When I arrived to where I heard the screams I didn't hesitate to swoop down in between a man and a woman. From what it seemed like, he was attempting to either kill her or worse. I smirked at the surprised look on the man's face, but he quickly regained himself and spoke. "I expected the bat, but you'll do. Huntress's head will look perfect on my wall. Right honey?" He asked and gestured with his bald head towards the woman behind me.

Why wasn't she running to safety? Oh no. I should be the one running, this was a setup. As I turned to face the woman with my mouth agape, she pulled out a gun. My instincts quickly kicked in and I did a cartwheel out of the way to dodge the bullets. When I landed back onto my feet; I quickly looked around and noticed a familiar dark shadow watching from above, along with four others.

Great, now the bat family was watching. The past few nights the bats have been standing a distance away and observing? Little did they know, I had done my research on them as well. It didn't surprise me when I found out Bruce Wayne was batman, but I hadn't heard of the others.

Shaking my head from the thoughts, I sprung back into action. My collapsible crossbow now rested in my hands rather than attached to my arm.

I lifted my arm up and pointed my crossbow towards the sky as I strutted towards the two. "Suppers ready, Honey. Come and get it!" I spat. The woman pointed her gun at me, but I simply kept going and ran straight for the man's legs. Smoothly, I slid under his legs and elbowed him where the sun doesn't shine. A smirk was plastered on my face as I turned around to deal with the woman, only to feel pressure in my side.

The color drained from my face as I looked at the gun and back to the woman. Before I could speak she shot me three times. First in the calf, then the thigh, and finally in the arm. I felt myself starting to fade but I fought it. A job was to be done.

"Your aim is a little off, sweetie. I recommend lessons?" I said stiffly and shot an arrow into her arm. It wasn't enough to kill her, I didn't do that. It wouldn't make me any better than her.

After the woman and her beloved ran off, limping and all, I shot my grappling hook onto a nearby building. "Luke, come in! I've been shot, three times. Where's the nearest safe-house?" I practically yelled into my coms. My eyesight was fuzzing in and out, but it would take a lot more to put this dog down. "Three miles! Huntress are you okay? Do I need to send backup?" He asked and I could tell he was already scanning my body and monitoring my heart rate. "No, I can make it." I grunted and ran over the tops of buildings, "Just be there when I get there, and get ready to dig these bullets out".

I was half a mile away now, but unfortunately I was stopped by the  bats. "Now isn't the time!" I yelled and tried to pass them up, but they formed a circle around me. Alrighty then. "Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, and finally Bruce Wayne. How about you let me pass by?" I asked with a smirk.