the little things that scare you

I stared out the window. It was raining and quite hard. My mom and had moved us all the way from Nebraska to Montana.  I didn’t want to move. But after that accident, we had to leave. Try to forget it ever happened. That was what’s best, well, that’s what my mom told me. Hell I don’t believe it. I believe that she was drunk when she told me that lame bullshit of an excuse.

But you know what? Who really cares anymore? Not me. I never do.  “Aren’t you gonna go out and play in the rain and meet new friends?” I rolled my eyes. “No, too wet for Me.” my mom gave me a sympathetic look. “Hun, you gotta stop living in the past. Just keep moving forward.” I rolled my eyes and turned my gazing eyes back out the window. My mom sighed and walked out of the room.

I must have sat up all night because by my mom came back she was already dressed up to go to work. She took one look at me. “Your gonna be late.” “Late for what? I don’t have school. It’s the summer.” Another sigh. “Not School sweetheart. I signed you up for this ranch. Your gonna go and help work on the farm. And of course meet some new friends.” She smiled real big and fake. “I thought I told you I wasn’t gonna ride anymore.” “Well, this should really be good for you. You don’t have to ride again. I just want to make sure you’re not scared of them anymore.” I sighed. “Okay where do I go then?” “Your ride should be here any minute now.” “Who’s my ride?” a car honked outside the house. “That would be you’re ride.” I put on my cowgirl boots and my white Columbus sweatshirt and

As soon as I stepped outside I saw the black truck sitting in the driveway. The driver was about my age roughly. And dang! Was he a cutie! But, I promised my mom I would be good so I can’t flirt or do whatever with him. I opened the door and got in. “Hey there darling’, I’m Kyle, and you would be?” “I’m Kelsey.” He held his hand out, and I shook it of course out of politeness. “Nice to meet you Kelsey.” “You too.” I turned my gaze back out the window. “So, you ever been around horses?” “Yeah, I was a jumper.” “Nice. Still do it? I mean, how good were you? ““I was champion for 6 years straight.” “Oh. You gonna join this year?” “No.” “Oh come on, why ever not?” “Just reasons.”      

I looked over and saw that he was nodding his head at me. “I guess that’s understandable. But, still it’s a pretty lame excuse.” “I smiled. “Yeah I know. But, you would laugh at the real reason why.”

“I wouldn’t, no couldn’t do that.” I shrugged. Kyle turned onto a dirt road. A tall white house came into view, along with a huge red barn and a pasture that could fit up to 5o horses or more in it. “It’s beautiful.” “300 acres of pure beauty.” I smiled. We pulled to a stop in the driveway. Kyle hopped out of the truck and walked around to my side and opened up my door. “Why thank you kind sir.” “Your very welcome my lady.”

I stepped out of the truck and followed Kyle into the barn. “So, since you’re a rider and such I think we should formally introduce you to the horses you’ll be taking care of shall we?” I took a deep breath and followed him inside the barn. Right as I walked inside I saw this beautiful Buckskin mare. “Whose she?” “That’s Buttercup. She’s a very talented jumper. But she has poor training. Maybe you can whip her back into shape?” I shook my head. I haven’t been riding for a few months now.  I don’t think I’m good enough anymore.”  I mean what else could I say? I’m not gonna tell him I’m deathly scared of horses now.

“Oh I highly doubt that. Come on I’ll introduce you to her. She’s a real sweetheart.” “Oh no that’s okay, I can see from right here.” He gently took my hand and led me closer to Buttercup. Panic started rising. “Please let go? “He looked back and saw the tears coming down. “What’s wrong?” “Five months ago I was in a near death situation. I was in a riding competition. My horse freaked out and I fell off. She trampled on me for five minutes before they could actually get her to calm down and me to the hospital. I have been scared of them ever since.” I fell down to my knees tears coming down.

headed outside.

Kyle came over. Helped me back up and hugged me tightly to his chest.  “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” I hugged him back. “It’s okay. Really.” “You wanna go inside and get something to eat? And of course meet the rest of the family?” “Sure.” I smiled as he took my hand and led me inside. “You guys, the new girl is here!” I watched as mom and dad walked in, and then came 5 rampaging boys running down the stairs. The mom came up and hugged me. “Nice to meet you, I’m Melissa. My husband Fred, and my boys, obviously you met Kyle, the other five are Kaleb, Kris, Caiden, Aiden, and Dalton.” I shook each of their hands. “I’m Kelsey. Nice to meet you all.”

Frank walked up to me. “Your mother told me of your accident. And I am happy to hear that you survived. But, that’s not the reason she called me. she called me because she wanted you to get back into jumping.” He looked over at Kyle. “Did she meet the mare?” Kyle nodded. “Well Kelsey, your mother bought that mare from me a few months before your accident. She was supposed to be a present for you, but ever since that accident I hear your scared of horses. And there is nothing to be ashamed of. That’s why you’re here, so we can help you get over your fear.” I nodded slowly. “Thanks. This really means a lot. And I’m just warning you this may take the whole summer, and the mare is beautiful.” “That she is. And that’s by far alright, we have all summer and the next until you begin to love them again and can ride again.” I nodded.  We ate dinner later that night. “How about we watch a movie?” “Yes!” “Scary movie!” “What do you think Kelsey?”  I looked over at Kaleb, “I don’t care.” “Let’s watch the chucky movies!” I sat down between Caiden and Aiden and Dalton sat behind me and Kaleb in front of me.  Kris and Kyle took the couch.  Caiden and Aiden sat real close to me. I didn’t mind, because they were really warm. I leaned back against Dalton and his arms went around my waist. Nice and snuggly. But then of course Kaleb had to lean back against me. I played with his hair.  “Having fun with my hair?” I smiled. “Yeah I am. Can I braid it?” he sighed. “Fine.” I let out a little victory scream. “Yay!”

I grabbed sections of his hair and put cornrows in. Caiden looked over and watched me. “Well don’t he look cute!” I laughed. “Hey! I don’t wanna look cute I wanna look tough!” “Oh Hun you’ll look tough in these braids.” He fist pumped, almost hitting me in the process. “Hey now! Watch where your throwing that arm of yours.“ Kaleb blushed. I giggled. “I’m only teasin you Hun.” He smiled. “Good.”