"Poor but proud," Charlie sighs. "I suspect you're going to have to change your attitude. Drake's lurking around because he likes you. One day he's going to work up the nerve to ask you out and I'll have to challenge him to a duel in the parking lot."

I flip my sign to "Open," and give Charlie's chair a shove. "I thought we agreed we were better off as friends. Now, get to work. Only eight and a half hours left until the weekend."

Charlie hangs his head in mock disappointment and rolls back to his desk.

***

An hour later, my cell phone rings. I wave the phone over the partition to let Charlie know to watch out for Big Doris. He thumps the partition in agreement. I settle in my chair and accept the call on the last ring.

"Makayla Delaney?"

"Yes."

"This is Sergio Martinez from Collections R Us. I received your file from the Education Commission. They inform me you have defaulted on your loan payments. It is my job to collect the money."

My heart thuds in my chest and I swallow hard before answering. "I think there's been a misunderstanding. I tried to make the payments after I graduated. I used all my savings, moved to a cheaper apartment, and sold my car, but I was unemployed. I applied for deferment and they agreed to defer the loan for five years."

"Apparently, they changed their minds."

"But that's not fair. They never told me."

Sergio yawns. "Not my problem. They sent me the file with the word 'Default' stamped on the front in big red letters. I take that to mean you didn't make your payments."

Sweat trickles down my back and I grip the phone. "I can send you the paperwork or you can contact them yourself. The five years aren't up and my circumstances haven't changed. I can barely pay rent and—"

"Frankly, Ms. Delaney, I don't care about your circumstances and it's not my job to conduct an investigation or to contact the Education Commission. My job is to collect the money, and the government permits me to use every means at my disposal to get it. Let's see what you owe. I have a loan calculator right here." He taps on what sounds like a keyboard and then rattles off a number that makes my heart seize in my chest.

"That's almost twice the original loan."

Sergio laughs. "Interest and penalties have been accumulating." More tapping. And then he gives me a monthly payment amount that sends my pulse skyrocketing.

"I can't pay that much." My voice rises to a pathetic whine. "That's almost my entire monthly salary. I won't have money to pay rent or eat."

"I'm afraid that is the minimum payment to rehabilitate your loan. Nine payments in ten months and you repair your credit and get me off your back. My boss wants more but you sound like a nice girl and I want to give you a break. You have until Monday to decide or I'll seize part of your paycheck forever and you'll never have another chance to rehabilitate your loan."

"Monday?" I squeak. "I can't do it. I need time to contact the Education Commission and find out what happened to my deferment."

Sergio sighs. "Are you sure you want to do that? You will be required to make a formal complaint and who knows how long it will take them to respond. In the meantime, your default will show up on credit checks, and the interest and penalties continue to rise. I can offer you the opportunity to rehabilitate your loan right here, right now. Don't you want a fresh start?"

"But where will I get the money?"

"I'm sure you have family, friends, relatives, or neighbors who could help you. Maybe you have things to sell. Have a garage sale. Clean out your wardrobe. Be creative. That's what I tell all my debtors."