Prologue

He followed down the path leading towards a lake, it was a few hours after sunrise. He was pretty sure that he had seen her walk down here a few hours ago. He was pretty sure that she hadn't returned home yet.

He was also pretty sure that she had been dead for a few hours now. 

He had seen Hayley Burch walk down the path towards the lake about an hour before sunrise, carrying a bag of rocks with her. She carried that same scent with her that he had picked up on many times. 

Death. 

People on the verge of death gave off a certain smell that he picked up on when he would run into her. It was odd, seeing Hayley walking around and talking with her aunt when she smelt like someone who was about to drift off into the afterlife. But, this was something he was used to, looked for even. 

She was suicidal, very close to killing herself. That's what Rick wanted, to let her take her own life. Let poor Hayley think that she was free and that she could just leave the world with all the people who loved her behind. Let them deal with the aftermath of her self-inflected death. Then, he would take her from her death and wake her again. Change her into what he was, make her live forever. 

A punishment of sorts. He always did this, some part of him wanting them to regret and know of the suffering and grief that their family and friends experience. Then, he would shape them to be killers, the monsters of the night. 

That was his plan for Hayley, like all the people he turned before her. Though, he always had the worse luck in keeping them alive until they reach that ten year mark. They piss off the wrong people, get a stake through the heart. Or they become too rabid, then one of the elders would have to kill them. Then the elder would speak with the vampire that turned them about responsibility. Rick was the one usually receiving those rants, but he was out to make sure that he wouldn't be getting one this time.

His time was running out, and Hayley was his last chance or he would end up with the stake in the chest. He was a vampire that had lived long past his ten year mark and hadn't kept a turned vampire until their ten year mark. Too many times he failed and this was his last chance. 

He felt anxious and agitated. But, he also felt that he was blessed with Hayley. He had observed her for a while, she was calm and collected. Not a speck of rage ever showing, but he could see it underneath every word she said. He saw it pent up in every action she did. 

She would make a great vampire. A ruthless killer, yet calm and sure. That's what he needed, that's what the vampiric world needed. 

Rick reached the dock, the wood creaking slightly as he walked across it towards the water. The water was calm, the sun shining down as he stood over the edge of the dock. The water was murky with mud and alga, but his heightened eyesight could pick out the shapes of rocks and bits of plants that lined the lake's floor. 

Then he saw her. The one shape that stood out, he could see her limbs floating in the water. Slowly, he removed his jacket and shirt. Kicking off his shoes, he jumped into the water. He swam his way over to her, removing the bag of rocks from across her shoulders as he wrapped an arm around her torso and kicked towards the surface. 

He pulled Hayley onto the dock with him, her head thumping against the wood, her arms and legs limp. He shook his head, looking at the girl.

He decided that the quicker he started the transition, the better. He tilted her head back, wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Her throat and esophagus would be blocked by water, and his blood wouldn't make it into her blood stream. 

He had to do it the messy way. He picked up her wrist and carefully sliced her wrist with his index finger, he was expected a bit of blood at least, but there was none. 

"Huh. I guess I let you sit a bit too long, sweetie." he muttered, slicing into his own wrist before he pressed his cut to her open one, letting the blood drip into her cold, dead body. It wouldn't take much, a drop or two. But, he needed to be certain. 

After a few more seconds he pulled his wrist back and watched as the wound started to close. He smiled to himself lightly, watching the skin grow back as if he hadn't cut it in the first place. No scar or scab. Nothing.

He scooped up Hayley in his arms after clothing himself, he noticed a bit of the colour returning to her skin and he smiled to himself. It worked, and in an hour or so, he would have to help her complete her transition. 

"Welcome to the undead, Hayley Burch." Rick muttered, walking back up the path he had come down.