Take My Hand-Chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

Autumn.

I was surprised. But who wouldn’t be? I mean, I was never expecting for her to get pregnant! She was older than me, but only by a few months.

I left the coffee shop a few hours later. I walked home on some back roads so I could finish off my pack a cigarettes without anyone I knew seeing me.

I looked down at my phone. It was the 29th. Two days before New Year’s Eve.

I had always spent New Year’s Eve with my mom, sitting in front of the TV and watching the big ball drop in New York, then switched over to a different channel that showed our time, since New York was an hour ahead of us. 

It was always tons of fun, spending time with my mom. We laughed and talked and ate a ton of junk food, staying up until 2 am talking about New Year Resolutions and what we thought would happen in the new year. A few years we even video chatted with my dad, when he was able to. That was fun, too.

I didn’t know how this year would go. I was hoping that I could get out of the house. If Averielle went over to Gerard’s, then I wouldn’t spend the holiday with them. That would be rude to just expect to go over to his family’s house.

I scrolled through the contacts on my phone, pressing send.

“Hey, Jinx. What are you doing for New Year’s Eve?”

Averielle.

Gerard dropped me off at my house, kissing me goodnight on the porch, before walking back to his car and driving away.

I opened the front door and headed inside. It was quiet, but everyone was home. A light shined through the crack underneath my mom’s door, and a heard faint music coming from upstairs.

I slipped off my boots and hung up my jacket, then walked quietly up the stairs and into my bedroom.

I changed into a pair of shorts and an old t-shirt, then laid down in my bed, letting my iPod play as I drifted to sleep.

“Shit Jake!” I yelled as he opened my bedroom door loudly, making it slam against the wall.

He laughed hysterically, running down the hallway and into his bedroom.

I laughed, turning back to my mirror and finishing my makeup. I decided I would make an effort to get ready today. At least look presentable when I break the news to my mom.

I had on one of my mom’s favorite tops of mine; a bright red long sleeved shirt that had a pretty white flower on it, a white tank top under it, a pair of white skinny jeans, and black furry boots. My black hair was up in a curly bun, a few strands falling down into my face. My makeup wasn’t too dark, just like my mom liked it.

I grabbed my phone, shoving it into my pocket, before heading out of my room and downstairs. My mom sat at the kitchen table, flipping through a magazine and sipping at a mug of coffee.

“You look pretty.” she said, looking up from her magazine. “Why all dressed up?” 

“I don’t know, just in the mood today.” I answered, sitting across from here. My phone vibrated from in my pocket, and I pulled it out, reading the text.

‘Be there in ten minutes.’ Gerard said. I replied with ‘okay’ before putting my phone on the table. My mom set a mug of coffee in front of me, and I said a quiet ‘thank you’ before drinking it. She went back to her magazine, and I turned around when I heard Jake coming down the stairs.

“What are you doing today, Jake?” my mom asked, not looking up.

“I might meet some friends at the park, play some basketball. Enjoy the rest of the break.” he replied, walking over to the fridge and pulling out an apple, biting into it.