Hanging Together

James had to call in a week to stay home from work his body being sore. He groaned a bit sitting with ice on his stomach. He looked over seeing his little puppy licking at his fingertips. He chuckled lightly getting up a bit groaning in pain. "I'm sorry Takeo we can't have a big yard yet for you to play in... Daddy hasn't made enough to buy one" Takeo whimpered placing his small paw onto his nose. He pets and rubbed his coat pulling him onto his stomach laying him down. He takes his remote to his stereo and turns it on. He leaned his head back staring at the ceiling sinking into his own train of mind. He was in deep only to be brought out by the ringing of his phone. He sat up petting Takeo who was resting on his lap. He picked up his phone answering it "Hello?" He heard a familiar voice at the phone "Hey this is the guy who loaned me his toolbox" James lightly chuckled "Depending is this the woman who offered to take me to the hospital after I was nearly ran over by Mercedes?" Jackie softly chuckled "Yes and it's Jackie by the way if you didn't know." James smiled laying back on the pillow "I know just wanted to make sure that you was her because I've loaned my toolbox to a lot of people." James stared at the ceiling "By the way my name would be James" Jackie smiled a bit "Well James would you like to hangout today?" James looked down at Takeo "Okay well is it okay if I bring someone along with me?" Jackie shuffled and glanced back at Roxie who's been waiting patiently for a day at the park "Yeah that's if you don't mind me bringing someone. Let's meet at the park." Jackie hung up getting dressed in some shorts and tank top wanting to be able to keep up with Roxie. "Come Roxie let's go to the park" Roxie perked up being a spunky puppy barking heading to the door as Jackie grabs the leash. She walked out only to be bumped into. "I'm so very sorry I didn't mean to" Jackie felt on her temple grabbing her leash "Don't worry it was accident." She looked into a bright purple tank top and then glanced up to see a familiar face.

"Well speaking of the devil heh hey I was just heading to park to meet you there." James smiled at her crossing his arms but groaned in pain forcing him to put them down. "Damn you look worse than when we last saw each other" Jackie brushed her hair from her face looking at him. "Yeah stunt practice really takes a toll on my body" James smiled sheepishly raising his arms slowly to scratch the back of his head. Jackie looked at him curiously "So AutoNation is?" James chuckled a bit looking at her "It's a side gig to keep a roof over my head, my phone bill paid and Takeo with a full stomach" Jackie softly smiled and looked at him "You know we could reschedule if your body won't let you" James shake his head and looked down at Takeo who was making friends with Roxie "No I have to take Takeo out he's been cooped up in the apartment while I worked." James chuckled and slowly began walking with Jackie and their pups. "So your puppy is it a girl or-" Jackie cuts him off walking with him "Girl, she's a puppy from my family's loyal and happy K-9 unit." James looked at her and then down at Roxie "Wow so you're from a police family must've been rough" Jackie chuckled a bit "More overprotective but rough is another word for it." James nods and walked towards the door holding it open. "What about Takeo? Where did he come from?" James watched Takeo and Roxie walk out of the door. "He came from overseas" Jackie looked at him confused a bit as James followed "I was overseas in the military for awhile since well college wasn't all I hoped for. Than I ran into him he was laying in a blanket abandoned by his mother's owners and I took him in and nursed him well the K-9 units who recently had puppies nursed him. But after a few weeks he opened his eyes and couldn't stop following me around so when my term was over I scooped him up and now he's here" James smiled looking down at Takeo as they reached the park. Takeo and Roxie race off to play while James and Jackie walked around the park. "You're an army veteran heh I never suspected that" James softly shrugged looking at her "Well I blended back into society because I miss being here well not here, here more I miss not having to watch my back and having to spit blood and stitch my wounds." James looked at Jackie who leaned against him "You know I went to the military but I went as a way to get away and came back to warm and open arms."

James eyes distanced for a moment and he sighed heavily "My family doesn't even know I'm back yet" James sighed heavily shaking his head "God I'm so stupid." Jackie put her hand on his back gently stroked his back. "Don't be so hard on yourself I'm sure you had your reasons to do so" James leans his head back and sighed heavily and felt a water droplets hit his face. "It's going to rain" He whistled strongly causing Takeo to come back. Jackie felt some rain hit the tip of her nose and she whistled for Roxie who followed after Takeo. James takes off his jacket and covers both him and Jackie. Jackie scoops up Takeo and Roxie while they ran back to the apartment complex. James chuckled while inside "Glad we caught it soon otherwise we'll be caught in the middle of heavy rain." Jackie softly chuckled while James' jacket limply laid on her shoulders. "Yeah but let's check the weather forecast before heading out" James laughed a bit before coming close to her "What's the fun in that? That's what life is it's unexpected and exciting not every part of it can be planned." He softly jumped and looked at her as she softly pushed him. "Slow down daredevil what about your future? Have you ever thought about what you're going to do when you become a dad?" James stroked the back of his neck thinking "Well that's if I become a dad. I don't think you can see it but I'm not exactly likeable by the opposite sex probably because I'm very socially awkward and well I haven't been on a date in two maybe three weeks since well you seen how my last relationship went." He sighed heavily and looked away from Jackie. He slowly grabbed Takeo looking at him as he softly played with the now sleepy puppy. "Anyways thanks for the day out even if it was cut short" he smiled and slowly walked up to his apartment. Jackie looked down at Roxie who quietly was sleeping in her arms "Well I guess Takeo had tuckered you all out heh come on let's head off for a nap."