Chapter Eight: Control

Start from the beginning

Hermione continued to amble in the calm atmosphere until she misplaced her step and slipped on a small patch of mud. She landed on her knees and sat there for a second, not having the energy to get up. She looked at the ground and pulled at a few strands of thick grass.
"Here," came a low voice and a pale hand, reaching to help her. Hermione took the hand and let it assist her as she stood.
"Thanks," she muttered before her eyes lifted up to see someone she both hated and missed. A mixed emotion spread though her and her heart skipped a beat.

Draco didn't let go of her hand. Hermione tugged on it, wanting to get away from him.
"Granger," he drawled in a way that made Hermione shiver. A lump formed in her throat and she found herself unable to tell him off. "I'm sorry," Draco apologized sincerely.
"No," Hermione blurted and pulled her hand back. "I can't trust you," she stated.
Exhaling, she turned away from him and walked hurriedly away, too distracted to see that she was nearing the Forbidden Forest.
Draco followed. He was faster than her and caught up quickly. He blocked her path, placing his hands desperately on her shoulders.
"Hermione, don't go," he pleaded.
"Why? So you can call me a mudblood again?" Hermione countered.
"I didn't mean that, Granger, you know I don't think of you that way."
"No, I don't know that," Hermione choked out, eyes blurring in tears of anger and confusion.
"You can't leave," Draco fretted.
"Watch me," Hermione replied, and ducked out of his way, heading into the Forbidden Forest.

Draco went after her. The further they went, the thicker the trees became. Hermione could hear him behind her and turned back around.
Closing her eyes, she said, "I thought we were friends. I thought you were my friend."
"You–"
"Thought wrong, I know," Hermione cut him off in a brittle voice. Draco took a couple of steps towards her, but not making any contact.
"No. I..." Draco inhaled sharply. He was tired of chasing after her, like a dog after a cat. He hated what he said to her and hated what he had to do because of it even more. "I made a mistake. And I'm sorry. I don't know what more you want to hear," he finished coldly.

Hermione opened her eyes. He was inches away from her. Though no part of him was touching her, she felt like she was being held captive. "I don't want to hear anything else. I want to know that you mean it."
Draco took a step back from her, surrendering to the fact that she was not his; she belonged to herself and he belonged to himself. Nothing would change that. Nothing should change that.
Hermione stumbled forward. His face was unreadable.
Shaking her head, Hermione said the words she so desperately wanted to say, the words Draco so desperately needed to hear.
"I forgive you." Relief swept over both of them. Hermione crossed her arms and looked away.
     Draco was taken off guard. "Really?" he asked.
     Hermione only shrugged but couldn't help but smile. Draco exhaled and smiled back. For the first time in a while, his head was clear, and the tension between them had calmed.

     Somewhere in the forest, they both heard leaves rustling. They remembered where they were and looked at the sky, which had become dark.
     "We're going to get in trouble! Let's go," Hermione spoke. Draco took her hand and lead her in a direction she was sure was the wrong way. "Where are we going?"
     "Back to the castle, where else?" Draco replied.
     "This isn't the way we came," Hermione said.
     "Yes it is," he argued, sure of himself.
     "No, we came through that way!"
     "Granger, relax, I know where I'm going."
     "I don't think you do!" Hermione doubted.

     More rustling was heard, it wasn't far away now. Hermione resisted Draco's pulling hand to listen and he stopped, too.
     "It's just an animal," he insisted.
     "What if it's not?" Hermione wondered.
     "Then we better get out of here, so come on already," Draco hissed, and annoyedly tugged on her arm.
     "The castle's this way," Hermione harped on.
     "Can't you just accept the fact that for once in your life, Granger, you're wrong."

"No, she's right," someone with a raucous, but almost nasal voice croaked above them. They looked up, not seeing anyone. The body that owned the voice slowly came into view.
     It was a very pale, very slim man. He held himself up by the branches of a very tall tree, leaning the upper half of his body toward the pair of Hogwarts students below.
He held himself there, keeping them in suspense for a moment. Neither Draco or Hermione could move.
The man maneuvered his way through the branches, then jumped down, traversing toward them with controlled confidence. He came into view; it was easier now to see him.

His features were sharp like knives and his eyes were black. Now that he was standing, Hermione could see how absolutely tall he was. She recognized him from studies in Defense Against the Dark Arts. "Vampire," she breathed matter-of-factly, blinking fast as if he would go away if she did.
The vampire smiled threateningly, showing off his fangs. Though frightening, he was almost captivating. Not taking their eyes off of him, Draco and Hermione unsheathed their wands.
In less than a second, the wands left their hands and entered those of the vampire. He dropped them as quickly as he took them, daring his victims to come and get them.

Pushing Draco along with her, Hermione forgot her wand and ran the other way. She knew this wouldn't accomplish anything; a vampire could double their top speed easily and more. And he did.
He caught up and blocked Hermione from moving forward by wrapping his arms around her from behind. Staring threateningly at Draco, who stopped running as well, he jerked Hermione's neck to the side and brought his mouth down towards it.
Not taking his gaze off of Draco, he bared his teeth and ran them across Hermione's neck.

Draco had almost no time to think. He ran to his wand, kicking the vampire on the way, hoping it would delay him.
"Expelliarmus!" he shouted after reaching his wand and picking it up. The vampire was blown backwards and let go of Hermione. "Stupefy!" Draco yelled, knocking the vampire out.
Hermione had dropped to the ground instantly. Draco moved to her and kneeled down. "Let's go. Now," he said. She didn't reply, and Draco put his hand on her cheek. Though her eyes remained open, they were unexpressive. Her skin was ice, and her body still.

•••••
|Author's Note|
Sorry I haven't updated in a few days; I was on vacation. I also meant to post this earlier today but I was debating something about it, and then I had to do some research on J.K. Rowling's take on vampires, since they are not often mentioned in the series. I'm also planning on sort of incorporating aspects of Elder Scrolls version of the vampire for more depth, but I'll figure that out later.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who's been reading my story. I'm hoping to post as often as I can, but the frequency will probably go down because school starts soon.