She ran towards the park, throwing herself down underneath her usual tree and bursting into unrestrained sobs.

There she sat, alone and ashamed, crying for all the world like a child who has lost its privileges. She wrapped her arms around her knees and bury her face in her skirts, which were muddy and wet, and cried until she thought it was impossible for there to be any more tears left.

But there were and she was so enveloped in her own grief that she didn't notice that Max had sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close.

When she did realize however, it only added to her guilt and she cried all the harder.

Max, unaware of the cause of her distress, could only marvel at the minds of women and hold her. When she had calmed enough to talk she spoke;

"Oh Max I was awful to your brother. I said so many things I shouldn't off. I had no reason to be so angry or cruel." She wiped her eyes, looking up at him.

"What did you say to him?"

"I told him that I didn't know how I could ever find him attractive because he was manipulative and low and that I'd be happy if I never saw him again. I said that he only wanted me to prove that he was better than you." She felt the sting of tears in her eyes but she blinked them away and looked away, to ashamed to meet his eyes.

"And how did he react to that?"

"He didn't really, I ran out before he could say anything. Before he was saying how he was good enough until you came along and that he pitied the man who married me."

"I'm sorry, I can't believe he'd say those things."

"It was mostly my fault, he's right. I fear I must've hurt him."

"No you didn't, this is his injured pride speaking. You mustn't feel bad, it isn't your fault, my brother's just too proud for his own good."

"But..."

"No," Max spoke firmly, turning her chin up to look at him. "You did nothing wrong, my brother is proud and hates thinking that he's not as good as anyone. That's his problem, not yours so don't think you must sacrifice your happiness for others. You understand me?" He asked seriously and he nodded.

"I do, but..."

"No buts, you've got to realize that you can't please everyone, least of all my brother, so don't think that."

"I feel almost as if I've betrayed him because I've spent almost two years being infatuated with him and when he was, I think, beginning to return my affections, I fell in love with his younger brother."

"I hate to have to tell you this but I doubt very much that he really loves you. He only wants what'll make him look good."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes and there is no need for you to feel bad, you are completely innocent in this. I don't want to hear anymore of this nonsense." He kissed her forehead and smiled at her.

"If you're sure."

"I am, and I suppose you have an answer for me? I came here at your request."

"I think you can guess the answer well enough." She smiled, all traces of her recent despair gone.

  Fredrick, stung by Emilia's words, made his way back to the bank, angry and shocked. He was not prepared to go back to work and face people. He wished he could sink a mile into the earth and lie there for the rest of time.