Late Nights And Greetings

Author's note:  This whole story is under edit and being re-written. It may have a few new pieces but the story will not change.

Donations to help out are still up and open under PayPal and Zelle, so if you'd like to donate, even if it's $1, drop a comment or dm please and thank you.

Story edited by AmericasAsssssssss

Needless to say, I absolutely despised my job. Working as a waitress was extremely tiring, what with the fact that it was only Mary Anne and I working the diner with Matias the cook, and I usually had to pull double shifts since Mary and I usually did that so the other could sleep, and got shitty tips from rude customers. So to be simple, I hate my job.

I was walking home to my apartment, it had to be around two in the morning and I had been working for the past forty-eight hours straight. The streets were dark, minus the dim orange lights that shined down from the street lamps every so often. The cool autumn weather in Gotham really brought a chill as it blew through my down trench coat, rattling my bones as I pulled the scarf tighter around my neck, adjusting my burgundy slouch beanie. I kept my head down as I passed a group of people laughing loudly, hoping not to draw their attention.

Until I accidentally bumped into one of them...

"Shit! I'm so sorry!" I said as I moved to the side to let him pass me or to run in case they weren't such nice people.

"Its alrigh', my bad. You okay?" He asked me sincerely. When I looked up at him I noticed his face tattooed like a skull with a scythe on his forehead and words I couldn't make out in the dark on the lower part of his jaw.

"Yeah, I'm alright, you? I'm really sorry, I've been working for the past two days, I haven't slept a wink." I rambled awkwardly, pushing a stray strand of my (y/h/c) hair behind my ear.

"It's all good, get home safely...?" He started.

"Wynter... My name is Wynter." I said.

"Wynter, that's a nice name. I'm Chato." He said with a genuine smile.

"Well Chato, have a safe night as well." I smiled gently at him as I turned to continue walking back to the place I called home.

I glanced back occasionally to see him staring back at me too as he walked to catch up with his friends. I couldn't stop the blush that crept up my face and I was glad for the darkness and cool air on my face as I entered my apartment complex, taking the elevator up to the 6th floor before entering my home. Tossing the keys on the counter, I went to my fridge to take some aspirin with a cool glass of water before I sat down on my gray couch, fully intending to pass out while I watched some cartoons.

It was roughly around 3 in the morning when I awoke to my tv going on about an arsonist setting fire to a bank and robbing them of everything they had. "Damn..." I said groggily, rubbing my eyes so I could actually focus on the screen as they talked about how they had no leads but if anyone knew or saw anything, that to call the GCPD. "Like anyone actually does..." I rolled my eyes sleepily as I rolled over, my eyes closing almost instantly as I fell off into dreamland again.

________________________________________________________________________________

When I woke up again, it was almost three in the afternoon and my stomach was growling loud enough to make my whole body shake with each rumble. Getting up and brushing the rat's nest I called hair and then teeth, I tossed on a pair of acid-washed skinny jeans and an emerald green sweater that draped off my right shoulder and a pair of gray Vans. After washing my face and applying a clear lip gloss and a few swipes of mascara, I grabbed my knapsack and walked out, locking the door, and heading down to the diner I worked at for an early dinner. When I walked in, Mary Anne glanced at me, her graying brown locks pulled back into a low bun, her dull blue eyes locking onto me as she playfully scolded you, "Can't you cook your own food? Why are you always here? Even when you don't work?"