Why us, of all people?

The past few days had probably been the most brutal that anyone in the survey corps could remember. Out of the survivors from five years ago, only two remained. The new commander in chief, and her shorter subordinate. The two stood beside each other, the silence saying more than needed until finally the spectacled woman broke it.

"I..I'm sorry." Her gaze shifted in Levi's direction, the smaller man sighing and not bothering to look over.

"For what?"

"....I never understood until now why you were so....you."

"Hanji, we've both experienced death before."

The woman nodded, a cold pang shooting through her at this.

"Well Yeah...but it's so different when..." her voice caught in her throat as a choked sound escaped rather than words.

"..When it's your entire squad." The raven haired man finished Hanji's sentence. She nodded slowly, clenched fists shaking as she stared down at her feet.

"I just don't understand... Why us of all people?" She kicked a stray rock as Levi stared up at the night sky.

"I don't know. At this point, is living like this even a privilege? Maybe we're being punished."

"Hah. Funny."

"That wasn't a joke, foureyes."

The two sat in silence for a while. Levi's eyes darted around, trying to focus on the constellations rather than the new commander's silent tears.

"You know once you're in charge...you can't let them see you like that, right?"

Hanji nodded slowly, hastily moving to wipe her eyes. Levi glanced over, sighing slightly before managing to roll his own in response.

"Crying won't help. You'll...you'll fog up your glasses.."
He removed them from the woman's face, cleaning them on his cravat. All Hanji could do was nod as she slumped to the ground, hugging her knees into her chest.

Levi eventually took a spot beside her, leaning over and gently setting her glasses back on her face.

"Levi.." She managed after a brief pause. As he nodded he watched tears well at the corner of her eyes.

"I-if you're gonna die..."

He watched them stream down her cheeks, collecting at her chin.

"....don't do it before me. Or least don't let me witness it."

The shorter man nodded as her tears hit the ground.

"...understood, Commander."