Chapter 9: Gone Awry

Magsimula sa umpisa

            Without even so much as a nod, he turned on his heels and walked away briskly, leaving Caroline in guilt-stricken state.

               The rest of the evening had turned dismal for her, and it was only once did she encountered Lord Stokeford once more, the occasion in which he had only cast a cold stare on her direction, and entirely ignored her. After that, she pleaded headache and asked dear cousin Sophie if they could go home already and in return had obliged her without any ado, merely a fussing over the current state of Caroline’s constitution.

                The next morning her spirits enlivened a little, having received an invitation from Miss Sutherton to go shopping and occupying her thoughts with many things but of Stefan, to whom she had credited her lack of sleep last night. Such matter did not escape her friend’s notice and had remarked with more curiosity than worry, “Why, your eyes look terrible! Have you had a disturbing night?”

               “Yes, I hadn’t slept a wink,” she admitted with a sigh.

               “Is something bothering you?”

               “Well, the truth is,” Caroline started, hesitating a little at the wisdom of confiding to her friend what had transpired last night. “That I… I am guilty of something, Julie!”

                Julie’s eyes widened, and said, “Guilty! Why? Have you done some mischief last night?”

              “Oh, no! Not mischief. Only that I’ve unwittingly hurt someone else!”

             Her friend, who was thinking of some bodily injury that might have been involved, looked at her dubiously. “Well, you could hardly strike someone!”

               “No, of course not, silly!” Caroline replied impatiently. “I did not strike someone! And besides, I’ve no reason to! What made you think of such addlebrained notion, pray? I do not prefer violence.”

                 “Well, I am relieved to hear that. But don’t say you do not prefer violence! Why, you had been all ears once before, when a set of gentlemen was prattling about… about boxing at Jackson’s!” Julie finished with a little shudder.

            “Oh, had I?” she asked, momentarily forgetting her dilemma. “Well, for one thing, it was impossible for them not to be heard for they were too loud, and for another, it is merely a sport.”

                 “Still, such conversation is not suitable for a woman’s ears!”

             Caroline, who was used to being chastised about impropriety now and then, and had long since accorded herself with her friend’s missish behavior and condescension, only replied, “I daresay it isn’t, but I confess I found it—what are you looking at?” she demanded, seeing that her friend had lost interest in whatever she was saying, and was in the task of craning her neck.

             “Oh, only look who is coming!”

              Caroline obliged her and a moment later her eyes fell upon the figure that was approaching them. It was Mr. Beaumont, looking quite glorious in his dark-blue coat and pale-colored trousers. A beaver hat stood on his dark locks, and one hand was clutching a Malacca cane.   

             “Hullo!” he greeted cheerfully with his usual disarming smile. Even Miss Sutherton’s Abigail, who was towing behind them, blushed and muttered something that sounded like God help me from sinfully handsome men

              “Mr. Beaumont! How lovely to see you here!” Caroline exclaimed ecstatically, and curtsied.

              “Yes, indeed!” chirped her friend.