A Girl Walks into a Bar

A/N: Hey everybody, I just want to say that this is the first Death Parade thing I've ever written. I don't see many fanfics for this series, so I thought I would write one.
-
To put it simply, life was rough for Chiyuki. She couldn't find a job she wanted in her new town, and her boyfriend had dumped her a couple of months before. To add to the heap of problems, her landlord was breathing down her neck for her rent. It was a cloudy Friday evening, and she needed a drink. A few days before, she heard rumors of a new bar opening up down the street from her place, so she took a chance.

Chiyuki normally didn't drink that much. Sure, she had a few drinks after her break-up, but that was just to keep her mind off the guy that dumped her. Plus, people always said bars were good places to meet new people. She threw on some clothes and headed to the place she had heard about. Its name was Purgatory, or something close to that.

She walked down the sidewalk, pulling her jacket tighter around her shoulders as a cool breeze blew by. The city was relatively generic, being as big as any normal American city. However, Chiyuki enjoyed the normality of the town. It was only hectic downtown and during events held at the park across from her place. Where she lived had manageable traffic and a fair amount of places for her to go to when she got bored.

Chiyuki almost missed the bar, too wrapped up in her thoughts and plans to notice she had arrived. The place was fairly average, nothing extravagent or overly simple. It was a one floor building with a sign hanging on the front with the name in larger letters. Purgatory, she thought, seems normal. The rumors were proven true by the small sign with 'Now Open' wrote on it sitting near the door.

Chiyuki took a breath, thinking, Here we go. She pushed open one of the double doors and into the building. The inside was as normal as the outside, save for the white-haired man behind that bar that nodded his greeting whe she entered. The room had multiple tables spread throughout the room, the fairly large bar being the obvious focal point of the room. The wall behind it looked like a stained glass window. The panes of what Chiyuki guessed was glass were backlit by small lights. The light cast the dark colors of the window onto the bar, coloring parts of the room dark blue or violet. The wall was the most interesting part of the room, immediately catching people's eyes as they walked in.

The rest of the room was lit by hanging lights, keeping the room fairly bright under them. Chiyuki smiled and walked up to the bar, looking the bartender over as she approached. He was fairly handsome ,at least from across the room; his clothing making him look more proper than the place he worked at. He was cleaning a glass so she couldn't see his face that good, but his hair was a bit surprising. It was pale white, contrasting the colorful wall behind him and his mostly standard clothing. It seemed to work for him, though, fitting his lighter skin tone. As Chiyuki sat down on a stool at the bar in front of him, he looked up at her. It was then she noticed how striking he was compared to a place like Purgatory.

The man was actually handsome, certainly pleasant to look at. He had a sophisticated look about him. However, his eyes took Chiyuki by suprise. They were the palest set of blue eyes she had ever seen, almost to a ghastly degree. "Hi," she eventually got the word out after a moment. He gave her a small smile, nodding his greeting quickly.

Chiyuki smiled. "I would like a navy rum." The man mumbled something under his breath, immediately moving to make her drink. That was strange, not even a 'yes ma'am', she thought. She looked around the bar as she waited for him, noticing how vacant it was. The room was quiet, save for the couple guys chatting at the bar near Chiyuki. She sighed, lazily resting her head on her palm, her thoughts wandering.

It was only a minute after she ordered a drink that a deep voice surprised Chiyuki. "Navy rum?" Chiyuki nodded, caught off by how deep the bartender's voice was. It was surprising and not at all what she expected. "T-thanks. Uh...I never caught your name."