Chapter 2

Carlson pulled into Kelsey's driveway and turned off the ignition to his second-hand Volvo that he had bought when he saved for it from his job at Jimmy's Italian Eatery. He had dreams of owning his own restaurant and planned to go to culinary school when he graduated high school. He was going to propose to Kelsey and he hoped she would accept. That's why he had gotten so mad when she said she was going to the state gymnastic championship. But his mother had made him see Kelsey's point of view and how selfish he was being.

There was just one problem he did not wish to confess to Kelsey and he vowed never to tell anyone just what it was.

Carlson knocked on Kelsey's door and her mother answered it, "Hello Carlson."

"Can I speak with Kelsey?'

"I'm sorry, but you just missed her." Kelsey's mother said.

"Oh, do you know where she went?"

"To the gym."

"The gym?" Carlson asked surprised. "I thought the state championship was over?"

"It is. She's working on going to the 2020 Summer Olympics."

"Oh." Carlson said.

"What' wrong? You look bummed."

"Nothing, Mrs. Forsythe. I'll talk to you later."

"I'm sorry you missed her."

"I'll catch up with her later." Carlson said as he got back into his car and started the ignition.

Meanwhile, Samantha was on her way to the gym to confront Kelsey and let her know how badly she had hurt Carlson. Little did Kelsey know, but Samantha had heard Kelsey and Carlson's argument before she had went off to the state gymnastic championship. Samantha intended to tell Kelsey just what transpired while she was away.

Samantha arrived at the gym and found Kelsey warming up before she got into her routine. Kelsey was just about to start her routine on the balance beam when Samantha walked up to her.

"Samantha! What was that?"

"I wanted to let you know what I thought of how you treated Carlson before you went off to the state championship."

"How do you know about that?"

"I was just coming around the corner when I overheard you and Carlson fighting." Samantha lied.

"You mean you eavesdropped on a private conversation?" Kelsey corrected her.

"Arguing on school grounds is not eavesdropping!" Samantha defended herself.

"What do you want, Samantha?" Kelsey said irritated.

"Well, just wanted you to know. . .that while you were gone. . ." Samantha said trailing off.

"Well, Samantha, spill it!"

"Oh, al right. Since you ask." Samantha confessed. "Carlson and I have become an item while you were gone."

"Yeah, right." Kelsey said in disbelief. "Carlson wouldn't touch you with a ten-foot pole."

"Well, he did. And I'm pregnant because of it." Samantha lied.

"I don't believe you!"

"Okay, but in a few months. . .you'll know I'm telling the truth!"

And Samantha left Kelsey standing there at the balance beam with her mouth hanging open, not sure she should believe what Samantha had just told her. Kelsey didn't know if she should confront Carlson about Samantha's claim or let it be?